Untethered control using LTE

Has anybody hacked together a controller that works across LTE.  I want to be able to control my drone via the LTE cell network so I have unlimited range and can land and then proceed to take off again while controlling all flight segments from my smartphone many miles away.

I noticed that DroneDeploy recently announced this feature as part of their toolkit which is great, has anybody built this themselves?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Autonomous drones were considered unreliable/dangerous/amateurish only 4 or 5 years ago and now there are hundreds of commercial applications for them.

If we want to be able to fly further and make stops / deliveries we need these kinds of capabilities, and we need to find ways to make them safe.

• yes, Once your countrys CAA approves this kind of operation, I'll be amongst those sharing the solution.

No european CAA, (AFAIK), and certainly not FAA, allows commercial BLOS in such areas, (LTE covered)

• If we setup routes that are away from populated areas we can operate this safely-- we need to start testing this so we can understand the issues involved.  In the beginning Iit will just be hobbyist and so forth.

If we wait for the FAA to give explicit approval we will be here for a very very long time.

This reply was deleted.

Activity