US Congressional Testimony on small UAVs - 12/2014

U.S. Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Integration, Oversight, and Competi...

This is a 2+hour recording of House Transportation sub-committee testimony from 12/10/2014 and I haven't watched all of it, There are some interesting sound bites. (The quotes below are paraphrased by me, I'm not much of a court reporter. The written testimonies are linked).

@32:05

Matthew Hampton, Assistant Inspector General for Aviation Audits, Department of Transportation

"the FAA plans to issue a rule [for UAV under 55lbs] soon but it will likely generate a significant amount of public comments that must be considered before a final rule is issued." ... "FAA will not meet it's Sept. 2015 goal of integrating UAS technology".

@37:20

Gerald Dillingham, Director of Civil Aviation Issues, Government Accountability Office

"Without a [FAA] rule on small UAS, businesses will continue to take their research and development outside the US"

@43:30

Lee Moak, Air Line Pilots Association

Supports UAVs the size of the DJI Phantom to have ADS/TCAS as to be seen by manned aircraft flight crews and ATC. 

@52:00

Dr. Nicholas Roy

"small UAVs available commercially are all more or less at the same level of performance as a toy"

The video is as exciting as, er.... watching congressional testimony, but very informative in broadcasting where the small drone market may be headed.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Activity