Using Flying wings for aerial mapping

Hello forum, 

First of all some background...

Having spent a good 2 years playing about with an Skywalker, Ursus and a Canon camera running  CHDK, and designing my own uav, which actually flew recently ,I have come to the conclusion that flying wings may just be the best type of platform for short range aerial mapping tasks to create DEM, DSM models for GIS purposes.

The Skywalker was okay (but quite fragile, and now in pieces!), but I think it is too small to fit a roll gimbal on it. And I've found that if pictures are taken on a slight angle, it is very difficult to use software to tile them up nicely. this is my best effort, but far from perfect. The roads on the right do not line up as the camera must have been on a 45 degree angle when the picture was taken. (click for larger resolution) - It was taken using an ixus80 attached to an URSUS Airframe

3690979741?profile=original

Realizing that I need to use an airframe that can accommodate a stabilized roll gimbal, i started to design and build my own twin boom design. It took 6 months from initial design, to first test flight. It has a wingspan of 2.4m - AUW of 5kg, and a flight duration of around 30 minutes with 2 x 5000mah packs. However it needs a heck of a lot of room to take off and land, something i don't have in the areas i need to take photos. 

Picture of twin boom plane...

3690979788?profile=original

What are peoples experiences with using flying wings for this reason? I have the following types of flying wings, and wondering which one is the best to begin with?

• jp-si 48" span Zagi
  • Scaled up 60" span jp-si Zagi (hot wire cut by myself)
  • x8 2m wing

I have been using the 60" wing to test the APM2 and 3dr radios. And was using the URSUS (now in pieces after a nasty crash!) as a test platform to practice with the Canon CHDK Kit.

Here's a few pictures of the wing and camera....(click images for larger version.)

3690979799?profile=original3690979812?profile=original

My question is how straight forward do you think it is to fit a roll stabilized gimbal to any of the above airframes?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dense reconstruction complete - obviously the quality is at least 4 times lower than it should be!

• VisualSFM is working much better now, it has managed to use almost all the photos from the set, about 296 out of 330. There were quite a few opaque pictures in there, which i didnt remove prior to processing the pictures, so that's about right.... Here is the sparse reconstruction looking from over the sea up the river

3692766714?profile=originalAnd a view looking sideways at the river bed..

3692766587?profile=original

I think this is as far as I can go with the limitations of the processing power I have....but i would expect this data is going to produce a very nice textured surface model....

r

• Right then, I've been processing the dataset from today's flights at the estuary, I think this set of photos is going to work out quite well, after reducing the photo sizes from 4000x3000 to 1000x750, I am able to work with it given my limitations with internet connection for Photosynth, and computer limitations with the laptop. 

Some interesting stats from today...

3 flights covering 0.398 km² (98.338 Acres). 336 photographs.

Here is the raw point cloud generated with Photosynth..

3692766553?profile=originalHere is the surface as viewed with a surface shader...The definition isn't great, need play with the lighting to bring out the elevation differential...

3692766504?profile=originalAnd here is the generated mesh with the color applied from the point cloud...the resolution is a bit low, but that's due to the quality of the mesh that is exported from photosynth, and the parameters i've used when importing the point cloud into meshlab.

3692766500?profile=originalI'll run it all through Visual SFM and see if it can generate anything interesting...

r

• Just got back from the local estuary area where I did three flights, at three different locations, with hopefully enough overlap that I will be able to create a large map/dsm of the area, flew most of it at 100m, and took a total of 380 pics. Going to downsize them and try to process them tonight... Computer pretty much crashed as soon as I tried processing them at full resolution! Yep, it's time for a new pc! Or I may give dronemapper a shot... I'll post the low res map, if the computer can take it!
  • Thanks Grant for that info - very interesting

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/RTKLIB

With professional receivers and antennas, it is possible to achieve centimeter accuracy, while low-cost single frequency equipment can achieve decimeter accuracy

Supported GPS Hardware is the uBlox LEA-6T Precision Timing

APM 2.5 uses the uBlox LEA-6H

• Hi Rich, I think your journey have answered many questions many of us are looking for. Well done, mate. $3.5k....that's steep. There are some other packages that might come in under that...not free though. Is that a X5 on your catapult?

Another question - have you referenced the model with ground control points? In other words, can the point cloud be used for design and quantity purposes.

Good work

Antonie

• I've been processing the images from my last flight, and have had some good results from my trial of Photoscan, but not so good from Visual SFM, 

for visual SFM, I am using VLFeats SIFT program with CPU detection, and also I had to half the image sizes from 4000x3000, to 2000x1500.  If I was able to use the default SIFT in Visual SFM, and full size images, I may get better results...Anyway, from 69 photographs, Visual SFM made 4 models, the best one utilising about 26 images.

Here is the dense CMVS reconstruction....quite good, but the reconstruction covers less than half the area photographed. I would also like to use the photo data to fill in the gaps to produce a nice textured model, but i'm not sure how to do that.

3692765752?profile=original

Photoscan on the other hand, produced a model utilisiting all 69 images. skipping none. I gave photoscan the same pictures to use. The 2000px downsizes ones.

3692765654?profile=original

I was also able to produce a photomosaic from the pictures... downsized to 1500px for web...

3692765765?profile=original

So, looks like Photoscan is the software i'll need to buy...@$3500, i may need to put this project on hold for a while!!

I'd like ot be able to achive the same results with VisualSFM, but i believe that cannot be used for commercial use anyway....

good good... 

• Okay, Just got back from the field and did two flights, also made the tracks a bit closer together to get more overlap, also used 1/1500 shutter speed, as opposed to 1/1000.  The photos look crisper. 

I am not able to put the better Canon camera (sx230) into the plane yet as i don't think the 9 x 4 prop will take it, so ordered a 9 x 6 for a bit more power on climbout, It struggles gain height nicely already, that could be because i don't have enough up movement on the elevons though.

I did use a slightly better camera today, an ixus120, It takes slightly higher resolution photos, 4000x3000. The pictures look good, and fingers crossed i will have more overlap, here is the waypoints....

3692763698?profile=originaland here is what happened...apologies for the lack of detail, this is the log from the laptop telemetry, not the plane, I believe I may have 2.4ghz antennas on the 3drs, so need to find out why i am getting reduced radio range. Anyway, thats another story.

3692764024?profile=originalAnd here is a sample photo from the flight...

3692764069?profile=original

I'll run a batch downsize of the files, so they are 1000px wide, and have a play over the weekend with VisualSFM to see if i can get a decent point cloud of the area. I think i covered a good 500m2. 

The plane did go into FBW-A mode for some reason when it was quite a distance away, even though the throttle fail-safe is enabled and is supposed to go into circle, then rth. weird.

If I don't have any luck with the pics, maybe i'll take you up on your offer of processing them for me Brenden! I am looking at speccing up a PC, but that's probably going to be a little while!

Cheers, R

• Ah yes, now I remember why I didn't use manual focus/infinity...I knew I would forget to set it sometimes on start up.

And you removed all the other features that Luca mentioned? That should help.

Another thing that should be noted is the lens IXUS 38mm lens vs the sx230 28mm. The wider lens will help with coverage.

One of the things I really like about the sx260 is its 25mm lens, which offers great coverage at lower altitudes.

I'll have to time it but with the intervalometer I'm using I'm getting sub 1 second intervals with the sx260 when set to 0 delay.

After reading that processing scripts also slows down the process, I stripped the script I use down to bare minimum.

You can find the very simple set of scripts I use here: http://flightriot.com/remote-sensing/chdk/

It does require a USB trigger though. I use this USB trigger method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4YSind9dXw

Flightriot.com
  • For some reason it won't let me reply to your posts! How do you set manual focus on the sx230? I've been hunting around for it but can't seem to find the option...
    Once the class 10 is in there, should I be expecting a photo every 1 second? I've set the cera to tv priority mode, but what's stopping it from taking blurred photos? Surely I should be setting the shutter speed to 1/1600 minimum?
This reply was deleted.

Activity