Hi everyone,

I would like to know what you think is the best solution (price/quality/ease of use) for mapping around 300km (180 miles) of a highway??

We need to do photogrammetry of this project and I have suggested the use of a UAV instead of a manned aircraft.

I imagine that we will need a fix wing solution (or solutions) for doing this project but I would like to have further information.

Any information is useful.

Thanks!!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Xavier!

• You might want to take a look a cropcam, can be purchased directly from Micropilot, or DFRobot.com.

• Hi Silverzorra,

I will just share my experience here. We have done a project of mapping a 65 sq. km area within a week. The straight line flight was more than 500km. The platform used was skywalker with custom arrangements. If its possible in your location to fly out of sight, you can complete the project within 4 days of flying. Even less if everything is perfect.

Regards,

Pravin

• Hi Pravin,

Thanks for the insight. Yes, we can fly out of sight. Did you put together the skywalker yourself or it was a RTF solution from a third party?

Regards

• Hi Silver,

I'm guessing you don't want to spend the money to get into existing "serious" $30,000.00 + platforms to do this.

For what you want to do there will be some obstacles.

First are you going to want to and can you legally fly beyond normal RC radio range?

That is problematic but not impossible.

Are you planning on full flight continuous FPV and telemetry?

That may also require extended range equipment.

And keep in mind any intervening terrain between you and the plane will interfere with all radio signals in or out (and is generally something you would like to avoid).

For the length of flights you are proposing, electric may be more limiting than you might want and you might want to consider a 2 stroke or better a 4 stroke gasoline engine, but that also introduces it's own problems.

Please take a look at my dronesarefun.com site Build an Airplane page (especially the last two planes) for an idea of what airframe might actually work with sufficient capacity and longevity for being a useful tool for you.

http://dronesarefun.com/BuildAnAirplane.html

The first of the 2 isn't quite available yet, but should be soon.

The Pixhawk is probably the best affordable autopilot for this kind of venture you can currently buy, but get a genuine 3DR one or a VRBrain, the last thing you need is quality problems with the autopilot.

This high end hobby level stuff is just beginning to enter the level of work capability you are talking about, but with careful preparation and rigorous learning, design and shakedown, it is at least now becoming possible.

Best of Luck,

Gary

• Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. Here are some answers:

-Yes, we can and want to fly beyond normal RC radio range.

-Yes, we would like to have continuous FPV and telemetry but is not a deal breaker.

I have been checking your site and has been extremely helpful. 

• check out our newest Aeromapper 300, 1.5 hours endurance. You will need svereal flights but it is very reliable, many payloads supported, easy to use, handlaunchable, long range data link and control, and affordable:

http://aeromao.com/aeromapper_300

despite is has been flying already for many months haven't been officially annouced, which will happen  very soon!

3701864589?profile=original

• Thanks! I already sent an email asking for pricing.

• Check out the Lynx UAS at http://swiftradioplanes.com/. Lynx is a 4.6 kg, electric airplane that cruises for 90 minutes with an APS-C camera. Its extremely rugged due to its Kevlar construction.

http://swiftradioplanes.com/
This reply was deleted.

Activity