Hello,

I'm working on getting Ardupilot 2.5.1 with the ArduCopter firmware running as an HIL simulation in X Plane 9.

I can load ArduPlane_HIL on the board from AMP 1.2.52 and it runs fine in X Plane. I think this indicates that I have correctly set up the Sim link with ports 49000 and 49005.

I am following these directions.

From the top, I've installed Mission Planner 1.2.52

Installed X Plane 9. Updated to 9.70.

Downloaded the starter pack from the above link's page.

Installed QRO_X in X Plane.

I did not know how to upload the scripts to the ardupilot board, I skipped that step of the walkthrough.

Configure X Plane to network with AMP (works, because I can fly the arduplane)

When I load the HIL version of 2.9.b1 on the ardupilot board, I can load x plane and see the copter sitting on the runway. I can attempt to roll or pitch the copter with the transmitter, and the copter will roll and pitch on the ground. But when I attempt to takeoff, the throttle barely has any affect. The copter does not fly.

By looking at the 'cockpit' for the quadcopter in X Plane, I can see that even at full throttle, the motors are not getting more than about 6% power.

I've tried working with the throttle gain setting in Configuration>Standard Params.

Sim running with motors armed and no throttle:

GFqHUar.png

Running with motors armed and full throttle:

UOI2JE2.png

I haven't seen any other posts about this particular problem. 

Thanks in advance for your insight / suggestions.

Addition:

I've noticed that when I flash the HIL Plane firmware, I cannot calibrate the controller from within Mission Planner; there is no signal.

When I flash the HIL Copter firmware, I can see the input values reflect the values of the controller. Could this have something to do with the aberrant behavior?

Addition [5/29/2013]

Resolution in comments.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Okay, I believe my problem is fixed. 

As I read in http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/quad-hil-simulation-with-xplane, it would appear that miscommunication between Xplane and Mission Planner causes the narrow throttle band.

By using Martin's suggestion, I lowered my 'Throttle Gain' setting in Mission Planner (Simulation page) to between 2900-3100 to get the copter to have full flight abilities.

I also changed a setting in Xplane, which makes flight much more 'realistic' on my computer. In Xplane, go to Settings -> Operations & Warnings -> flight models per frame. I've increased this setting from 1 to 3 with pretty nice results.

Now  the only problem with simulating an arductoper is that the device crashes when I put in 'auto' mode. I will create a more appropriate thread to see if anyone knows how to resolve this. (I have already read this post, it didn't work).

Thanks,

-Chris

• Hi Christopher, have you tried adjusting the throttle gain on the simulation page itself, where you connect to Xplane.

Type a new value into the throttle gain box which currently shows 10000, try 3000 maybe.

This reply was deleted.

Activity