I was having a LOT of problems getting my two2.4GHz XBee Pro 2 units to communicate with one another.  After a lot of experimentation I finally got them talking and so for the benefit of anyone in a similar position I post here below my working profiles.

If you are at the stage I was at, you'll know that you need to run the X-CTU application to set up the units.  I set them at 57600 baud first and then set one up as a coordinator and one as a router/end device.

You'll need to set DH and DL (destination addresses high and low) on your units to the SH and SL (serial numbers high and low) values on the other unit.  (Note that the SH and SL values are not stored in the saved profiles as they are written into the hardware.)

This is my coordinator profile (DL values have been disguised):

XBP24-B_ZigBee_1047.mxi
[A]ID=234
[A]SC=1FFE
[A]SD=3
[A]NJ=FF
[A]DH=13A200
[A]DL=12345678
[A]ZA=0
[A]SE=E8
[A]DE=E8
[A]CI=11
[A]NI=
[A]BH=0
[A]AR=FF
[A]DD=20000
[A]NT=3C
[A]NO=0
[A]PM=1
[A]EE=0
[A]EO=0
[A]BD=6
[A]NB=0
[A]RO=3
[A]D7=1
[A]D6=0
[A]SP=20
[A]D0=1
[A]D1=0
[A]D2=0
[A]D3=0
[A]D4=0
[A]D5=1
[A]P0=1
[A]P1=0
[A]P2=0
[A]LT=0
[A]RP=28
[A]PR=1FFF
[A]IR=0
[A]IC=0
[A]V+=0
[A]CT=64
[A]GT=3E8
[A]CC=2B

This is my Router/End Point Profile

XBP24-B_ZigBee_1247.mxi
[A]ID=234
[A]SC=1FFE
[A]SD=3
[A]NJ=FF
[A]JV=0
[A]DH=13A200
[A]DL=12345679
[A]ZA=0
[A]SE=E8
[A]DE=E8
[A]CI=11
[A]NI=
[A]BH=0
[A]AR=FF
[A]DD=20000
[A]NT=3C
[A]NO=0
[A]PM=1
[A]EE=0
[A]EO=0
[A]BD=6
[A]NB=0
[A]RO=3
[A]D7=1
[A]D6=0
[A]SM=0
[A]ST=1388
[A]SP=20
[A]SN=1
[A]SO=0
[A]D0=1
[A]D1=0
[A]D2=0
[A]D3=0
[A]D4=0
[A]D5=1
[A]P0=1
[A]P1=0
[A]P2=0
[A]LT=0
[A]RP=28
[A]PR=1FFF
[A]IR=0
[A]IC=0
[A]V+=0
[A]CT=64
[A]GT=3E8
[A]CC=2B

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Nigel,

I am using the Xbee Series 2 hardware with an APM 1 board.\Basically, I g=have done what you did yet I have no connection via the mission planner.

Is it not compatible with Xbee 2 simply?

• Hi Nigel,

Thank you for posting your profile. I see you have the same (problematic) FW version as me.

Have you seen this blog HERE on this very subject? Martin seems to be very sure about the fact that the XBP24-B and XBP24-ZB does not work with the ARD and recomends the XBP24 with the XBee Pro 802.15.4 function set.

I have not been able to load that FW set on my devices which are:  XBee Pro 50mW 2.4 GHz Series 2.5 w/Chip Antenna.

Regards

Marius

• Good work NIgel!

• Hi Nigel

Having a closer look at your setup, you are still using the old Xbee firmware. (XBP24-B) I had loads of trouble getting the older firmware to work with APM2. The only reason I have been persevering is that the Xbees would work on random occasions and then when i turn the ardupilot off, the telemetry was never to be seen again for some time. So I know that it does work, I just had to figure out why. You might finds that you will get data transfer and RSSI strength in XCTU but no communication when connected to Ardupilot APM2. I am using the upgraded firmware from XBP24-B to the later XBP24-ZB. The older firmware XBP24-B is Znet router/endevice and Znet coordinator, I cant seem to find were you found Zigbee function sets for XBP-24B. The Zigbee function set seems to be the right setup that works for me, but mine are on the XBP24-ZB firmware. Please let me know if APM 2 works with your 2.4 Xbees. I will be interested to see. If it does not work, No worries, I am testing mine though out the night and will post you my findings.
    I think we are on our way to 2.4 xbee's working again with APM2 and beyond.

Regards
    John
  • Hi All

Nigel good work, the settings are very similar to mine. Does your settings work with APM2? I will test tonight and see.
    I have finally got my Xbee 2.4's to work correctly. They are working perfectly with APM 2.1 which took a lot of interweb surfing, trials and tribulations. I am going to test them again and again this evening to make sure that when I post the setting, that it works for all who have 2.4 xbees and who can not get them to work on APM 2.1. I will continue on your post and make a new on as well.

Regards
    John
  • Admin

Nigel,

The Mesh (DM) version of the Xbees is difficult to setup as you have found. The 900MHz Xbees can be run in the Point to Point mode (DP) which is easy to setup and does not interfere with the 2.4GHz R/C systems.

Just a thought.

Regards,

TCIII

• does this setup work with AC2 latest update or is this what u had to do to get just the Xbee's talking to eachother?

This reply was deleted.

Activity