Your advice for mapping plane

I would like to have a plane that allows me to do mapping. I am looking for a model that can carry a payload of about 2kg I already have the pixhawks with the downlink, Futaba radio 14sg, sony nex-7 with 16mm pancake lens. 3S, 4S and 6S 5000mah battery. I would like to fly around 40 minutes. I want it to be disassembled and easily transported in a car.

I looked at some models like Penguin and X6 Skywalker FPV wing but the payload is to low,

For now, the 2014 model skywalker 1800mm and Latest Version Black skywalker X8 Flying Wing seems  a good choice.

What are your suggestions and advice about models for mapping?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 300km

Does the Talon (EPO) have room for a straight downward facing camera mounted in landscape orientation, not portrait. Something like a Canon S100 (about 10cm wide)

• Yes you can. It has a plenty space, even for slightly larger camera in a landscape orientation.

• what makes the quality of a camera from another. I found this canon cam lightness 231g 16mpx PowerShot ELPH 340 HS Low price 170$cdn.

What do you think?

• Sensor size is important. It doesn't matter how many MP you can take if you have a small sensor. Powershots have a fairly small sensor, then you have larger sensors in cameras like Lumix GH4 and NEX 5, then you have full frame sensors like the Canon 5D Mark III. Larger sensors can take in more data and cover a wider area, so fewer pictures are needed, and the quality of each picture is typically better.

• Hello Serge,

I assume you want to build it yourself as you already have some important parts. I recently built 2014 model skywalker, X8 flying wing, and Talon X-UAV with extension wing for mapping application too.  I will not recommend 2014 model of skywalker, X8 and Talon have better flight stability which is important to get good aerial photos for mapping. It depends on your building and flying skill.  Building and launching X8 is challenging while Talon is much easier. You will need to reinforce X8 wings and make your own bay to lay your stuffs into its fuse. You have to pay more attention on wing connecting parts as it also weak area of X8. Both are easily dissembled. V-tail section of Talon is permanent, but you will be able to put it into your truck easily. 

Good luck!

• Hello Wahano, 

Your reply is great. 

I want to ask you as you have tried both, the X8 and the Talon (+extension wing). We are looking to have a flight duration of over 100 minutes with a payload of 2.2KG with 2 batteries 3S 9000 mah and all accessories and cameras. Which one will be able to do it?

And which one is more stable for live video? 

Also, which one can fly in strong wind of over 50km/h, I heard tha Talon will be able to do it, is it correct? 

Elios

• Both of planes have good gliding performance and power efficiency. However Talon has better stability in term of rolling movement, it could be a good point for video recording. I did not record any good quality video, I just used fpv to help me navigating the plane; yeah... actually just watching all of flight parameters displayed by OSD and switching to RTL when battery is low.

With my setup (830 kv motor, 13x8 prop, 2 x 4S 5000 mAH), my best flight record with Talon is only at 74 minutes. The average is around 55 minutes. It is hard to get long flight on strong wind day.  I fly most on windy days, usually at 40-45 km/h - and still get very good pictures for mapping. Maybe sometimes I fly at  more than 50 km/h wind speed; I am not sure cause I did not measure it every time I fly. I am thinking to use lower kv motor with bigger prop to get a longer flight. However, it will need motor mount modification on Talon or the propeller will hit ground and break easily.  

• Check out the 3DR Aero. Other than that, you'll either drop $10k+ or build your own (which is what I'm doing, since I already had a bunch of miscellaneous parts). I'm building out a Skywalker 1900 carbon tail with EzUHF and Pixhawk.

Honestly, putting a NEX 7 in a $150 foam plane scares the sh*t out of me, I only have a NEX 5 and it'll be a while before that goes in. You may want to look at a long flight time octo or a really robust plane frame. I saw a v-tail I was interested in, also the 12' telemaster looked interesting, along with the Bormatec MAJA.

• Hello Serge.

My sugestion is the E384LR UAV, is a really great UAV plataform, with best possibilities for autonomous flights, mapping etc.

The airframe was based in Skywalker 1900mm airplane, an old friend of MILIONS FPV PILOTS around the world.
    Jeff Taylor, the Event38 founder, was part of staff of 3DRobotics, he is a lot experiented.

Just take a look: www.event38.com

Good luck!

• The E384 model seems to be a very good choice too.

Which model do you use on your videos?

Thanks for your advice

This reply was deleted.

Activity