Acquatic drifter gps drived

I would like to build an autopilot system, for oceanographic surveys, which is launched by the shore setting the coordinates and once it arrives at its destination switch off and is carried away by the currents. Once the mission is ended up again and come back to the starting point. We have an idea about the hull and the engine. It seems possible manage with Ardupilot system but what hardware components do I need and which are the best for this application? I'm just starting out with autopilot systems and I still have a lot to learn. Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks
    • I always work with classic lagrangian drifter or fixed platform for current and waves measurements. I'm totally new to the autopilot's world ! Now I'm starting to study the user manuals about hardware and software (Mission Planner).

• Frank,

With a RFD900 the curvature of the earth is your enemy.  The 3DR telemetry kit with a directional antenna may work but I think you would be pushing its limits. I've been 2 miles out with the RFD900 and had a very robust link with the boat.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

This reply was deleted.