Y6B 2014 taking off issues

I got my Y6 DIY Kit last July. Assembly is done few days after and tried to assembly my T2D but didn't work. Fortunately, 3DR changed it by a new one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv5vE2dgyKE&list=UUiiwsgcy_EgNrzJETVb9kbg

Before I try to attach the new T2D, I decided to try my first flight. At this point, installation wizard went ok. Battery connected but Pixhawk didn't run. I recorded it on video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV18M9ivbEQ&list=UUiiwsgcy_EgNrzJETVb9kbg. The power module failed. 3DR changed it for a new one.

With a new 3DRPower module, and propellers attached correctly I went to the field but was utterly useless. After several tries, with throttle stick up to 60% my Y6B flipped over itself. Two props and the GPS mast broken, but motors are harmless though. Throttle min, max and mid were 130, 1000 and 430, respectively.

I emailed to 3DR tech support for help and they suggested to check the propellers were attached properly (letters pointing upwards) as in fact they were. Also, they asked me to re-do a radio and ESC calibration as I did and reload latest 3DR_Y6B.param firmware. Done!

Went out and nothing happened. My Y6B kept its behavior. It wanted to flip over itself. 

One more email to 3DR tech support. They asked me to do the test motor in Mission Planner. Done it. It seems something was wrong as motors spun in the wrong order but in the proper way. They asked me to check my connections at the main board from M1 to M6 as it seems they were connected wrong. Double-tripled checked my initial connection and everything was ok. I had to load the latest 3DR_Y6B.param firmware up to three times until motor test in terminal went ok. I recorded it on video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4jCJ2XM6Q&list=UUiiwsgcy_EgNrzJETVb9kbg

Test motors passed! I redo the wizard setup and ESC calibration (all at once). It went ok. So, I went out to the field and guess what?. My Y6B wanted to flip over. The throttle stick went up to 70%. I didn't want to broke any more propellers so I gave up that day. 

I emailed once more to tech support and they asked me to check my Tx trims and send them my log files. Trims were slightly out of the middle point and RC3 trim was same as RC3 min (1169). I corrected Tx trims and changed manually the RC3 trim value in MP full params list (1510). So, I went out again and voila! throttle somewhere between 50% and 60% and my Y6B took off the ground around 4-5 feet nice and smoothly. I landed it and excited I tried to do it again but failsafe battery alarmed and then I couldn't arm the motors (fair enough). I sent log files to tech support and everything seemed to be in its place. 

3691148684?profile=original

The following day (that was the last week) with battery fully charged, I went out and again, my Y6B didn't take off the ground. Several tries without success. Now every time I arm motors, the motor labeled as No. 1 (on top right) started to vibrate (twitchy), spin out if sync and one of the ESC started to beep as the motor was shaking. I recorded it on video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v2jc_gYdQY&list=UUiiwsgcy_EgNrzJETVb9kbg

I emailed the log files to 3DR tech support and they couldn't find what's going wrong.

I went through a motorsync test in MP yesterday with throttle stick at 30%, 50% and 70%. Nothing seems wrong but motor 1 doesn't arm properly when I arm all motors. Motors wont go hot nor ESCs. ESC calibration always seems ok. 

If I manually change ARM_SPIN_MOT between 90 and 110, motor 1 behavior is the same. Only when throttle goes beyond 20%-40% spins correctly. I cant' replicate problem without props on.

I've attached some log files from my attempts yesterday if anyone fancy to check them and try to find out a solution. As I said motor 1 vibrates a lot as recorded on video. 

Sry for the long msg.

Cheers,

RICARDO

My Y6B had never gone beyond 5 feet over the ground. When it made it,    

14-09-03_15-10-36.log

14-09-03_15-23-10.log

14-09-03_14-54-10.log

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi @RICARDO, 

I took had similar issues that you are having but I am using the 2013 diy kit with Y6A setup.

I also initially ran into issues where it wanted to flip and landed on its top snapping a few props, also resulting in a font lower motor acting twitchy while other motors ran perfectly (thankfully I built my gps mast so its slightly stronger and didn't break).

For hours i tried what i thought was prop rotation for each motor as all props were facing in the right direction. Eventually after taking a step back for a day (fresh pair of eyes is the key to success I've been told), and then i re tested each motor separately by connecting the esc directly to the transmitter receiver on the Y6. I did in fact finally come to realize that there was one or two motors that were in fact in the wrong direction (I swore up and down i checked and they all spun correctly), which in turn was causing me to flip every time i took off. Could be worth a double check.

After crashing my motor twitting led me to believe that maybe i burnt out an esc or motor during the flip thus causing the problem, but upon ordering a replacement motor to trouble shoot with i decided to take more time and meticulously check every connection, and this is where i found that a esc -> motor connection had come loose or was bent at an angle which caused the weak connection which resulted in my motor to twitch. After fixing the connection that motor worked great again! (Although in my hurry i must have loosened another connection as i had to fix one more that previously was fine so good news all and all).

Also to note that during all my repairs my ppm encoder had issues which turned out to be a weak connection at channel 3 (throttle) on the transmitter receiver which was easily fixed with a hot glue gun.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Craig.

This reply was deleted.