APM 2.6 with MT3329 and HMC5883 instead of Ublox LEA-6M

Hi all, would I have to manually edit some code to get the APM 2.6 working with my MT3329 GPS and HMC5883 Magnetometer? I already have both (seperate boards) and would like to use them for an APM 2.6. The MT3329 has been working fine and it's update rate is faster (10Hz) than the LEA-5M so I'd like to use this module instead and save some cash. I know hardwarewise there are no problems but I'd like to know if the code automatically defaults to LEA-5M init instead of the MT3329 when enabling the GPS (never tried MP with an APM2.6) - I haven't check the LEA datasheet.

Thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Both of them are working directly with apm boards. Our firmwares on apm board does not default to any gpses or compasses. At boot time it does auto-detection of gps and switches driver accordingly same goes with compass. Both mtek 3329 and ublox gpses are supported. 

About mt's update rate, dont get fooled about it. Yes it can do 10hz updates but that does not mean that it will make full location computation with 10hz. As it just cannot do it.  In generally mt gives you accuracy of 5 meters while ublox can do 1-3m. There are reasons why ublox is more expensive. I would suggest to get neo6-neo8 series gpses. Best would be to get neo8 based gps.

hmc5883 and hmc5983 are both fully supported by all our flight codes.

• Thanks for the quick reply and feedback Jani! I will probably get the Neo-8 if I start getting more "serious" but since I have an APM 1 with MT3329 and magnetometer I thought I'd "recycle" these for now and have some fun. The MT does give me precision under 5 meters (usually around 3) when testing in open space, which is more than enough for the moment;)

This reply was deleted.