from

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/13065821-story

"

HOLLYWOOD, Calif (FOX 11 / CNS) - A man who allegedly flew a drone in a manner that forced a Los Angeles police helicopter pilot to take evasive action above Hollywood was facing possible prosecution today for interfering with police work, authorities said.

"

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do they arrest news/traffic helicopters for flying near them or just avoid crashing into them?  This stinks of a paranoid overreaction to someone flying completely within the rules.

• Anywhere in Hollywood you are too close to an airport, that guy is an idiot, just like the rest of the idiots flying against the rules. They are/are going to ruin it for everyone.

• 100KM

The guy was not flying in an no fly zone.    I checked with Mission planner.    There are no airports within 5 miles of Hollywood. 

I fly in the LA area.    It is a high air traffic area.     There are quite a few low flying aircraft.     Numerous helicopters as well.   It may be that the helicopter entered the airspace without the drone operator being aware of it as he said. 

I find it hard to believe that the drone operator tried to interfere with the police helicopter.   

• I agree that the guy probably wasn't TRYING to interfere, but if he was close enough to be seen and then caught, I bet he was too close.

What is the separation that is required from aircraft?  I know about the altitude, but in the case of police, fire, rescue, I'd like to know how much distance is being required/suggested.

Seems like 1/4 mile might be reasonable for below 400 ft.

• Jay Stephen Heliport is within 5 miles of Hollywood and covers most of the Eastern part all the way from Wilton Pl to the East. FYI Jay Stephen is the LAPD heliport... whether the guy did it on purpose or not is as relevant as your air navigation abilities. 

• 100KM

A heliport is not a major airport and do not have no fly zones.   LAX, Burbank, Long Beach, Los Alamitos, Santa Ana are major airports and have no fly zones.    Heliports are a convenience, but they impose a substantial safety risk and quite a bit of noise on the community they are located in.  

Helicopter pilots, even police helicopter pilots, have a responsibility to the community to fly in a safe manner and not use their aircraft as weapons.

• We'll see what the FAA has to say about that

• Wondering how high AGL the incident occurred...and how far from an airport.

This reply was deleted.