Drone flyaway help

Hello Forum,

This is my first post, so I'm not 100% sure if this is the format the group would prefer, however I am stuck in a little pickle.

I decided to build my first quadcopter back in September, which turned out to become relativly simple. With that choice, I choose the APM platform to allow me to explore autonomous operations, as well as its versitility.

My first couple flights were fine, but later on I started to encounter issues.

The day I first tested RTL, the first time I flipped the switch, it worked flawlessly. I went to record the RTL for my video series the second time, but it eventually led to a sudden flip and crash. (Video will be attached).

After repairing the copter, I did a couple of tests in my street. All of them were fine except for one, where I had no control over it drifting and then descending into my neighbors fence. 

The big kahuna of crashes occurred after that, where I once again, intended on testing RTL. The flight was going OK, until I flipped it into RTL, where I felt that it was not working right. I flipped it back into stabilize, where it starting drifting over a neighborhood pool. I'm not positive if I flipped it back into RTL or not, but the copter suddenly shot-up into the sky at full throttle, leaving it out of sight. Eventually we found the copter less than a quarter of a mile away from launch.

I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of these systems, so I thought posting the video of the last flight, data and kmz logs of the last flight would help me receive some insight of how to fix my quad, as it is grounded until I know this will never happen again.

Raw GoPro video of crash: https://youtu.be/X02X2SxAvTk

All criticisim and comments welcome!

Thanks for the help,

Todd

crash log.kmz

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OK, more Qs:

1.  What is the status of JP1?  Jumpered or not?

2.  Did you calibrate the PM for voltage AND current?  http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-3dr-power-module/  You will need a Watt Meter.

3. What GPS/Compass are you using?

4. Did you have any trouble calibrating the compass during the initial setup?

5. Are you using Auto, or Manual Magnetic Declination

• Thanks for all your help!

I'm currently away from my quad, but I should have an answer real soon!

-Standard 6M ublox

- No calibration issues that I recall.

• Awesome, thanks Darius

Should I change some of the priorities then?

Is it possible that since it was focused on maintaining a stable frame, it wasn't processing altitude/barometer?

-Todd

• Dude,

I just got through looking at that log file, and I don't see how that aircraft ever made it into the air, and I have some questions for you:

1.  Did you disable arming checks?

2.  What size and type of battery are you using?

3.  Are you using a Power Module?

• Clifton,

My arming checks are enabled, meaning that when I arm the copter and it fails a check, I need to do the arming process again in order to arm.

I was using a 2200mAh 3s lipo, with a power module

Thanks for your help,

Todd

• OK, that explains the battery voltage I was seeing...

However, you have some serious problems with the GPS and the Barometer, and the brownout wasn't helping either.

One other thing I saw was some nasty RSSI levels from the radio receiver and a signal loss that I believe triggered the FS_THR RTL.  

The real bad thing was, when the RTL activated, the APM had no idea where it was because the GPS data was crap, most likely caused by the brownout...

So at this point I'm wondering what else you have drawing power from either the main battery, or (shudder..) from the power module...

• What were you seeing for the battery voltage?

• What I saw was in the 10.8 volt range.  If you are running 3S it should be closer to 12 volts to start off and then the voltage should drop as the battery is loaded and current is being drawn.

Some things from your pictures:

1.  Put the APM on one of these:  APM Damping Mount

2. Put some heat shrink over those motor to ESC connections!  Those bare connections are a crash and fire just waiting to happen.

• @Todd, DIYDrones is made of best drone experts to provide you with a right solution. My experience is reduced to some special aspects. If I watch your video and notice video synchronization problems (fuzzy image) and watch propeller stopped on individual frames, so you can try to reproduce brownout problem, lowering input voltage supply to your camera on your desk (camera only) watching for video synchronization problems and fuzzy image. I have studied Wind Farm Syndrome world-wide and premature fatal cases among residents living close to wind turbines in operation, living close to discos, pubs playing low bass, generating infrasonic resonances affecting human's brain waves. Study on resonant frequencies should be the basic study done on every single drone before first take-off and re-run from time to time. Mounting your drone to a vibrating desk, setting thrust to limit lift force (no forced take off) you can scan your drone and frame build for resonant frequencies, applying vibrations generated by unbalanced rotating mass ( pwm controlled motor). Since drone fly away at higher altitude incidents are reported over and over again and drone frame vibrations are recorded by video (log files saved).

• Here is the correct Log File:

-Todd

2015-09-06 17-01-48.bin

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702160305?profile=original
This reply was deleted.