How is this guy getting this FPV range/ battery time?

Not sure what this guy is using to accomplish this fpv run but I have never seen anyone go that far off. He must have a huge battery and a super powerful transmitter. Looks like he is just running stock stuff from the beginning of the video but what do I know. Pretty entertaining anyway ;)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This seems pretty confusing to me with a hundred posts and varied opinions. I believe there should be one approach to accomplish this the right way.

Can someone summarize how do we get a long range with FPV? Not just theory, wanting to hear from someone who's actually done this ;)
  • check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aIq8r4-m3c&feature=share

• Yeah, I talked to him via email. He's tested it and it works very well. Simple setup with two repeaters. I explained in a previous post on here
  • Someone should seriously consider putting together the 'ARENDATOROV Challenge', a contest where the goal is to try to emulate & achieve (if not surpass) this guy's magical, yet mysterious setup. If you can fly a few km's through trees & in between buildings, then you're in the running for the 'Koh Samui Cup' ;)

• The guy from my town just made quad 

batt Zippy compact 5800 4s
    weight RTF 1340g.
    time of flight 50 min

video will be uploaded tomorow..

normal motors,normal props,very light frame...here is blog but in croatian(you can google chrome translate it...)

http://www.flyfreak.net/multirotor/quad-ltf-(long-time-flight)/

with this batts he plan to have a flight of 60-90min...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Panasonic-NCR18650B-18650-3-6V-3400mAh...

Quad LTF (long time flight) - page 1 - MultiRotor - FlyFreak
  • Seen this?

He also has some 12.5 km flight. Check his channel

• Again, his English is pretty bad--probably why he won't respond to anyone--but his first email to me reads:

"It's not that simple. When I fly in the sky flying repeaters."

So maybe he's got other pilots flying with repeaters or something. Like I said, he's sending me all the details today apparently, so I'll let everyone know.
  • I've been talking to him via email. He's Russian so his English isn't very clear, but he let me in on his secret. Drum rollllllllllll....

He's using multiple repeaters.

I'm trying to get his entire setup right now. I'll post when he fills in the details. Oh yeah, and he told me all of his flights are manual.
  • So I emailed Juan Simo of Circular Wireless for his opinion, and got the following amazingly in-depth analysis from him:

Regarding your comment, I am very curious, and I have invested some time in investigating it.  I believe it’s a combination of several factors:

1.      Distance is not that far. I have redone his flight, and maximum distance is 1.5Km:

3692866584?profile=original

2.      He is flying 98% of the time above the buildings (for example, when following the large street, he doesn’t fly at street level, but above the buildings), with occasional obstacles. I would say the worst moment is when he flies at sea level before turning back home.

3.      His RC transmitter looks quite stock to me. No UHF antennas. From this picture, I would say the two wires hanging on the left with the stripped end, are the diversity antennas form a 2.4GHz RC receiver:

3692866435?profile=original

On the other hand, in the first video he had some clear glitches while flying. They looked as failsafes to me.

4.      Regarding video, clearly he is using two different systems depending on the flying site.

5.8GHz (this antenna looks like the cheapo version of the SpiroNet:

3692866510?profile=original

3692866603?profile=original

I bet this other one is 1.2GHz (the one hanging on the right from the quad, and the one in the googles, look like custom made dipoles):

3692866599?profile=original

3692866620?profile=original

So, clearly this guy has impressive flying skills, but achieving 1.5Km with 2.4GHz RC, and get a video “flyable” at this distance with 1.2GHz with just some trees and small buildings as obstacles is not impressive. I would love to have a look to a ground recorded video, but I bet he is getting quite a few video dropouts, which on the other hand are not a problem when flying with NAZA or similar systems.

• From what I can see of this frame, prop nuts and from the little I can see of the motors from time to time it looks exactly like my Flamewheel F550 (white red and black are all options) so it's probably a F550 or more likely Flamewheel F450.  On my F550(Hex) I am getting I can get 10min without a problem and no battery alarm on a 5200 mAh so I really don't see a problem with a 7 min video if its a quad. The NAZA-M is pretty darn accurate in GPS mode making it easier to fly thru trees(but I would probably crash ;-))  And if he used a DragonLink long range UHF FPV especially with a tracking antenna he can get a few miles no problem, I think that would probably do the trick.  Not biased, I overall prefer APM cause its so much more fun but also use the NAZA-M for some video clips.  If you look at the dragonlink videos people are flying miles out fpv without an issue.  Dragonlink says they will do 30km(18 miles)  I don't think he's using anything out of the ordinary.  But you should not fly over people and through buildings even if not as populated as NY.

We understand that most people will never fly 30 KM, which may beg the question; why do you need a system capable of flying 30 KM? FPV planes are rarely ever perfect; antenna placement, interference, banking the plane sharply, aerobatics, and many other things can degrade performance, and each one of these things will take a certain percentage away from the quality of your RF link. Therefore, let’s say your plane is small and you are required to put your video transmitter near the RC antenna – if this takes 50 % away from the range of your RC system – you will still be able to fly 15 KM with the Dragon Link and never notice the effects of this imperfection! If you start with a system that has the range of 10 KM and then subtract 50%, your limit would be a short 5 KM. This is why it is always better to have more performance than you think you will need!
    http://dragonlinkrc.com/v2/

This reply was deleted.