How to write Conceptual Design ?

Hello All,

I have to write a conceptual design report inorder to get the fund to make my drone project. But I have no idea how to write conceptual design. In the questions that I am reuired to answer, describing mission requirenments(they are already given) and transleting them into desing requirenments.

There are 2 missions given;

1)  The drone has to complete the area which have four 5m tall masts and it is supposed to draw zigzags between them. After passing a mast, The Drone must successfully change in direction and keep flying to the other mast in the most possible speed and stability.

[ Flight and maneuvering capabilities should be strong in my drone, and of course It should complete the parkor as soon as possible ]

2) The drone is supposed to take 4 payloads ( rigid objects with minimum 100 g mass in cubic (5 cm x 5 cm x 5 cm) )  and transport them to four targets, leaving one cubic in each target area. The Drone must leave the cubics from the minimum height of 5,5m .

[ Abilities of The Drone in transporting payloads such as Firefighting or first aid equipment quickly and successfully to the target points will be tested so it should fly stable and drop the loads to the certain area, not outside of the area  ]

I've actually designed some mechanism to take the loads and drop them. But how can I write this to report. I am required to submit 20 - 60 pages. I am opened to any advice about anything in my project ? Can you please help me?

Thank you

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Andrew,

I really thank you so much, that's the thing I am looking for.

• @Osman,

since you develop commercial drone, you need to be a registered entity authorized to develop such drone under contract.

You need obstacle avoidance system alike one developed at MIT by Drone Group,

you need certified testing facility, alike one assigned to Amazon in Canada,

you need staff, you need developers, coders.

Projects like yours are developed by R&D Groups set up by a university

since it takes 12 month term to accomplish such sophisticated task and challenge and budget can amount $100K - $1M.

You need RTK GPS for precision control, you need radar for obstacle avoidance, you

need intelligent servos and software to control your tasks.

Since private funding of such project can be easily excluded, taking public money you risk 100% project failure and money back option changing your legal status to bankruptcy.

• Hi Osman,

Interesting assignment!

First think about all the titles or sevtions of the report and then, for each section jot down all your ideas onto a paper/word documents. It may not be petfect, but write down all your key ideas, sleep over it and expand it with more revisions.

Write down how you would tackle each mission (task), what's the bottleneck and what's your gameplan/solution to the problem in a clear but concise way.

You have already answered some of these things in your description. The key is start writing anything & improve it with several iterations :)

Cheers,
    Shyam
    • Thank you Shyam,

I'll try your advice. One more question; Do you know any website or a document to inspire? Because I can only write some pages, if I have a source to examine or investigate to obtain some ideas , it would be great.

• You may want to add a conceptual design I.e. as I understand.. list of several subsystems/units (hardware/software) taking care of different tasks in the mission; interaction between the various subsystems. Would require some thinking on your part in how you come up with this system design.
This reply was deleted.