Quadcopter summer project with kids

Hi,

I've found a lot of information in the wiki and in these groups but I'm still trying to figure out a 'part list' to buy for an "assembly and fly your first quadcopter summer project" I'd like to plan for August.

I'm inclined to buy an assembly kit + gps + rc transmitter/receiver + ardupilot trying to stay on a budget of € 400 to a max of € 500.

I'd love to be able to add telemtry and a cheap solution for video capabilities (I believe this would be too expensive).

Due to kids involvment (from 4 to 10 yo, hoping my toddler will stay with his mom :)) I prefer not to have soldering needs.

Can you please help me out with this?

TIA.

Marco.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi,

thanks again for your support.

I'll work some more on my list tonight, it seems I'm almost there..

Any hint on where to buy the mobius camera?

As for the telemetry I have to take the 433Mhz.

Ciao,

• Hi,

this is the new version of 'the part list', I'm starting to worry about weight.. what do you think?

Q Brain 4 x 25A Brushless Quadcopter ESC.. EU27.82
      Q450 V3 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450.. EU11.30 
      4xMT2213-935KV MultiStar Motor and Propell.. EU46.12 
      TX-9X-M2 - Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8.. EU53.99 
      T4000.4S.20 - Turnigy 4000mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack EU25.74 
      HKPilot Transceiver Telemetry Radio Set .. EU36.79

Mobius ActionCam 1080p HD Video Camera Set With Li.. EU62.09

Turnigy Mobius 2-Axis Gimbal with Tarot Controller and AX2.. EU89.99

Mini APM Pro Flight Control with NEO-7N GPS&Power Su.. EU66.88

This has a grand total of around € 400 in line with my original budget..Am I missing anything? Will I need battery strap, connector, anything like that that you can think of? Could you reccomend a battery charger?

Thanks again,

Marco.

• List looks okay.  Yes, you will most definitely need battery straps, but those are cheap and easy to buy.  You might look into modifying the Mobius and have it powered by the lipo instead of the lithium battery it comes with just to save some weight, but that can be done later.  I noticed you went with a 4S instead of 3S so this quad will be very fast.  When you want stable video footage, you want to go easy on the throttle and not fly too fast.  You will need special foam tape or FC mount with vibration damping.  Not sure if the package you are buying will include, so do double check.  You will definitely need the extra foam tape even to mount the battery with straps.  What is missing from the list is landing skid which does not come with the frame and if you are planning on mounting a gimbal, you will need that.

• I've ben using opensource software for the last 22 years (my 4yo daughter plays with the Kano distribution).

I'm new here and I'm believe I had to do something wrong to receive this kind of feedback.. I'm getting the feeling I'll need to do my homework alone to cut the investment from 800 to 500..

Thanks anyway..
    • Hi Marco,

Please don't get us wrong.  The last thing we want to see is kids getting hurt by a drone.

As for what you need, almost all packages will require some kind of soldering.  At the very least, motors and ESC connection will need to be either soldered or you buy the more expensive kind with the bullet connectors. So if you don't want that, it would be easier to find the parts separately online.  Best please for research of what you need are hobbyking.com and banggood.com which are both online sites from China.  You should be able to find all you need.

List of what you need:

- a frame - you need to decide on the size of your build

- based on the size, you estimate the weight and do calculation to figure out the thrust needed to decide on what motors to choose.  There are lots of choices that are under $100.

- based on the motors specifications and thrust you had estimated, you will be able to find the maximum current required to decide what ESC you need to buy.  Cheap way is to get the 4-in-1 kind from HobbyWings.

(Stay away from EMax brand as this brand is know to be incompatible with APM/Pixhawk.)

- Last is the flight controller package and you can easily get the entire APM clone package with GPS/compass and telemetry as well as the power module for around $100US.

- for camera, the Mobius and the SJ4000 are 2 cheap ones that are commonly used.

- The last thing you will need is the TX/RX which you can easily I would recommend you get the Turnigy 9XR package from Hobby King if you don't want to spend too much.  Another good choice would be the OrangeRX T6 and the FrSky Taranis X9D+ if you can afford a little more, but you will need to work out your own budget.  Then get the receiver that is compatible for your choice of radio.  For Quadcopter, you will need 4 channel minimum and 6 would be best.

Good luck!

• Wow!  4 to 10 years old?  Well I have 3 kids and I'd be concern as accidents can happen and the motors are weapons.  10 may be okay, but ...  You might want to start out with the micros or minis There are many toy grade RTF packages available that you can have fun with the kids.

• We have already played with a RTF toy last summer.. and anyway the project is mainly for my own pleasure, kids interest and involvment would be a plus.

This reply was deleted.