Questions about flying modes and transition problem.

Hello,

Firstly, I've had some problem today when transitioning from loiter mode back to stabilize mode. So when I switched back to stabilize mode, it was as if the thrust command was frozen, and when I set the thrust at the maximum, my quad wouldn't take any altitude, but barely keep the same altitude.

I checked the log files and the MOD commands appear with the right mode...

After having grounded the quad, I could fly again without any problem, but when trying again this transition, I had the very same problem and this led to a more serious crash.

Did anybody encounter such behavior ?

Does the arducopter switch instantly from one mode to another ? Are there some kinds of transitions between modes that could explain that problem ?

Secondly, in loiter mode, my quad is drifting in light/medium wind and doesn't seem to make any efforts to keep its GPS position. I know the conditions were not ideal since there was some wind, but in Stabilize mode, I could easily compensate the drift manually, and the correction needed was light.

Finally, I wanted to test the RTL mode, so I waited for the GPS lock before arming the motor to properly set the RTL Home position. Hovering in stabilize mode 30m from the home position at about 3 meters high, I switched to the RTL mode. The Quad went almost to the right direction, but it was gradually and fastly losing altitude and finally crashed. I had cut off the thrust input on my radio but I heard that the motors were still trying to turn, even with the quad crashed upside down...

What is the proper behavior for the RTL mode ? Was it trying to land/ground ? In RTL mode, does the thrust input still function or is the quad completely autonomous ?

I think it would be a good idea to add some basic "flying mode" testing procedures to the wiki ?

Thanks.

Nicolas.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Today, I could make my quad fly and I did try "stable", "loiter" and "simple" modes with the lastest stable firmware (2.1.0 Alpha) and everything went fine!

• I had exactly the same problem transitioning from loiter to stabilise. It had arrived at the end of an autupilot route around the field i ws in. Crucially I had the xbee connected. I tried again without it and it was fine. Ive yet to look at the code but my current thepry is that the ground station software was not draining the receive buffers fast enough or otherwise blocking the channel which woyld cause the quad to ignore tx input from my transmitter for periods of several seconds.

Apologies for typos and bad grammar this was typed on my phone.
  • 100KM

Mode switches are checked 3 times per second.  The copter switches to the selected mode immediately.

RTL is fully autonomous, thrust function won't work, but pitch/roll still work, so you can correct the heading of the copter.

Default setting is to return at current altitude.

• Developer

What version were you flying? 

This reply was deleted.