Hi everyone,

I have not been on DIY for a while.  I moved on to racers and mini drones.

But I missed playing with Mission Planner and Tower.

Since I have been on this site the new FAA regulations were introduced.  But thats 250g and above.

I like doing odd things with drones, I made the first APM LEGO drone,

So I decided to try to build a Sub 250g Fully Autonomous + Racer APM Based FPV Micro

Disclaimer:  I know its not a real racer, I have a Vortex Pro 250 but I mean one I can race around not compete ;-)

I wanted Waypoints and also to be able to use ACRO mode to do freestyle.

Chris Anderson, I think sub 250 has a new market and something like this build could sell well at best buy, on the box it can say "no FAA registration needed", just an idea for you ;-)

I have not flown it yet because of a bad motor, but thought I would share what I have so far.

Below is the timeline of my build, enjoy

I started out with a 3d printed frame but went to a CF one for the light weight.

3691274590?profile=original

Adding the ESCs

3691274493?profile=original

Designed and printed a stand for my APM that sits above the Power Distribution Board

3691274725?profile=original

Adding the APM Mini

3691274765?profile=original

Adding the motors

3691274852?profile=original

Battery on the bottom

3691274818?profile=original

Added GPS and FPV, Fits in the palm of my hands

3691274790?profile=original

Checking the weight.  First battery was too heavy by 12 oz, so I changed to a smaller battery.   I need to find something with a weight in between,

3691274879?profile=original

3691274845?profile=original
Sub 250g, no FAA registration needed completed with FPV

3691274956?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yea, I did something similar a few months back with an apm with bluetooth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDzprZwHa0

it was a 250 class though, yours is tinny. would love to see a video of it in action.

• Thanks, and cool mini, yeah mine is a 150mm.  Page 4 is a little video of it flying, sorry it was dark.  I'll get a better one one day.

• Don't you have another gps to try? when you remove the cover, check with multimeter if signals pass to the upper side of the connectors from all the wires

• No other GPS, yes they show connection to the other side of the connector where it goes into the board.

At this point I assume bad GPS.

• I wanted to try a GPS mode on the Sub250g, but noticed that it says

GPS: No GPS

and Lat/Lon are at 0.00

The GPS is plugged in, I did calibrate the external compass on the GPS so I am not sure what else to do to check that the compass is at least on.

I reset the APM to defaults but still no lat/lon showing up.

Is there a way to check that the GPS is alive and working?

• Never mind, GPS data finally started showing on MP after letting it sit for about 45 minutes :-D

• were you inside? That's an awful long time. I would try pos hold or something before going to full auto to test the gps. 7 sats minimum is  what I do.  Good luck!!

• Yes Richard, but near a large window, my old 3DR apm would pick up faster there, but this is not a good test at all.  Ill try it out this weekend, I am 100% sure its just cause I was inside is all.

Is there a way to check exact number of Sats it found?  I know there is GPS HDOP but thats a little different.

• if it seems iffy next time your outside and try it I'd suggest trying a new cable I've had that happened. 

• +1 The gps isn't working; Inside it have to say No Fix, led is working?

This reply was deleted.