Telemetry DIYD 433 Radios

Hey guys,

So I just received my 433 Telemetry kit from DIYD and not having much luck getting in talking/config'd.  I did see that there were some issues with them in the past, but I would have thought they would have been ironed out?  The radios just have the green light solid on both (even if only one is connected).

I tried to config with the 3DR radio config software and through PM, but nada.  I also tried the hyperterminal trick, but there's nothing coming back.

Have I missed something completely obvious?  Are the radios DoA?  Do they just not like the southern hemisphere?

I have gone through the forums, but any help welcome.

Cheers,

David.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

Just one more thing on this...  I didn't have the driver on my Windows 7 machine installed by default so I used the link in the wiki to get the other version.  I then used windows update to find a newer version and that's what seemed to fix it.  That and BAUD hunting.  (:

Ahh - thanks all for the assistance...  The problem has been solved.  In short it was a flakey driver in Windows 7 and a changing baud rate on the radios.

The detailed steps of what I did are below.

433mHz telemetry radios

'GROUND MODULE'

1. Tried to connect at 115200 [COM4] - did not work.  Could not 'Load Settings'
    2. Tried to connect at 57600 [COM4] - did not work.  Could not 'Load Settings'
    3. Updated drivers in Windows 7 - rebooted
    4. Tried to connect at 57600 [COM4] - did not work.  Could not 'Load Settings'
    5. Using 3DRRadio Config 0.9, changed Baud rate to 115200.  Clicked 'Load Settings' and it appeared to work, but still had solid green light.  Displayed SiK 0.1 on HM-TRP and 'ERROR' in RSSI. 
    6. Clicked on Upload Firmware [Local] and uploaded successfully.  Green light starts flashing.
    11. Changed Baud rate to 57600. Clicked on load settings and scucessfully retrieved information.

'AIR MODULE'

7. Using 3DRRadio Config 0.9, changed Baud rate to 115200.  Clicked 'Load Settings' and it appeared to work, but still had solid green light.  Displayed SiK 0.1 on HM-TRP and 'ERROR' in RSSI. 
    8. Clicked on Upload Firmware [Local] and uploaded successfully.  Green light starts flashing.
    9. Click on load settings - Error message 'Failed to enter command mode'.
    10. Changed Baud rate to 57600. Clicked on load settings and scucessfully retrieved information.

OVERALL

12. Connected 'GROUND' module to computer - green light flashing.
    13. Connected 'AIR' module to drone and power up - green light flashing
    14. Connect both at the same time - green light solid.
    15. Use 3DRRadio Config 0.9 and can see local and remote radios.
    16. Open Mission Planning - click connect on COM4 at 57600 Baud and connected successfully.
    17. Performed hand held movement test and telemetry working 100%.

• Wiki Ninja
    Here's what I did to get the 2 radios talking....

Connect 3 DR ground/USB radio to PC's USB port & note Com port #.

Use Windows > Device Manager > ports to identify com port #.

Connect air 3Dr radio to FTDI USB to TTL serial cable & note com port #.

I got my FTDI chip cable from www.adafruit.com

In MP > set baud to 57600 & select ground radio com port #.

In MP > Configure > 3DR Radio > click Load Settings (from ground radio).

In MP select the 3DR air radio's com port, Configure > 3DR Radio > enter exact same settings including advanced > click Save Settings.

Wait for both radios to connect with solid green LED.

Connect 3DR air radio to APM.

It's working great

see this thread for more info
    http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/3dr-radios-will-not-connect-f...

Is your USB connected at the same time?

This reply was deleted.