Unless I'm mistaken I feel that diydrones would rather all flights use a Tx, but are we not very close to a point where we can to put an end of the Tx for drone multirotors as the primary flying device.  After all this is 'diydrones' not 'diyrc' and a Tx is just not very drone like.

I know there are some bad a$$ flyers out there, but for me I want more of a drone and less of an RC.

Push a button, take off, do a mission and return back home and autoland, use virtual controls if needed, more drone like.

With all the new functionality from that Arthur Benemann has packed into the latest droid planner 2, including 1 button take offs, follow me, dronie, guided and large screen phones and tablets it looks like we may be close.  All the strides that DJI and Parrot has done with virtual joysticks that are extremely accurate cant we get away from requiring the Tx.

We have geofence RTL, battery low RTL and tons of failsafes, we have continue mission if lost signal for those long missions.

The Tx is a great backup to the phone, but I have no backup for my Tx anyhow so why would I need a backup for my phone/tablet.  If battery on phone dies it can return launch.

Somehow the new Ghost is not even requiring a Tx at all.

Just my thoughts as id like to say bye forever of the requirement of a Tx :-)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ah Edgar....no. theres no way in h-e-double-hockey-sticks the FAA or Congress will ever allow that. Remember, you are essentially talking about making cruise missile tech even easier. Even the military requires pilots at a stick. Not a quad piloted by a cell phone potentially strapped to it among its other payloads.

Use a boom crane, leave this to the pilots.
    • The Global Hawk has no joystick.  Just a mouse and keyboard.

It's no joke. Global Hawk

• Hi Matthew, drones that do not require Tx exist now with this FAA/Congress in the Parrot and the Ghost and other very very high end drones.   We all have "cruise" multicopters right now, we can all turn off our transmitter and it will "continue the mission" without the need of our Tx.  I'm not talking about removing manual control all together,  there will always need to be able to correct your drone while its landing, for that the tablet has a virtual joystick like the ghost and parrot that will be used for correction or even flying.  I only mean using the tablet as the complete Tx as an "option" including having a virtual joystick like the parrot and ghost to take over manual control in an emergency.

• TX exist anywere - but its used very differnt forms and methods of control

• I would like Arducopter to continue to require the use of a conventional transmitter unless an alternative is found that enables the user to take effective manual control in the case of an emergency.

All 'copter fliers need to be skilled enough, trained and experienced with their craft and controller to be able to fly with no location assistance (at least) out of a dangerous situation.

It's hard to see how one would get this experience if the user only ever flew "missions" with auto take off and land. Working out how to limit use to those who actually know how to fly safely is out biggest currrent and upcoming challenge.

• Mike I totally agree that a manual control option is 110% needs to be there for emergency, but ghost and parrot and others have that option with virtual controls.  "Assuming" we can get virtual controls to work every bit as good as the conventional Tx controls I don't see why Tx would be required, just optional.

• ...before I get all of out great Tx fliers here mad :-D  I just want to say I just think we should start driving toward the Tx as optional over required, as others are doing.  I would not want at all to drop Tx option, just the requirement in the APM/Pixhawk.

This reply was deleted.