Ground Station / 3DR radio

Anyone using the ground station?

It looks like it will work with Xbee, or the 3DRadio I just bought, but I'd need another air radio, not a USB ground module. 

Not sure how useful it would be with a rover.  I'd try the code now if I could find one of my 4-line LCD displays.

The radio does free-up the tether to the PCB!

I take it the ground station can read the telemetry protocol, being able to work with that might be useful. 

Still not sure what "extra" the radio does.  Packet protocol?  Retries?  Can I use it as a link between an Arduino and a PC?  When I connected it up between a PC running a terminal program and looping back on the air end (TX - RX) I saw my text echoed, so the radio must be fairly transparent.  The modem "AT" (Hayes) protocol is also apparently "in there" as well.

Alan KM6VV

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Chris,

Any help?

Alan KM6VV

• My ardustation 2 is programmed, I've updated the software on the 3DRadio, and copied the parameters.  The new air radio does communicate with my ground radio. 

Is there a setting to use a 3DRadio instead of the XBee?  It powers up saying "starting xbee"...  and the radio does not connect to the air radio (red led on radio, air radio on 'bot keeps trying).  I assume two air radios can connect? 

Alan KM6VV

• Received and build the ground station, and it's working.

Got another (flight) 3DR radio (915 MHz).  Set up the radio as I did for the (flight) radio on the 'bot, it links to my ground radio and transfers data.  Put it on the ground station, and it doesn't want to connect (stays red) while the ground radio on AP keeps flashing.  When on the ground station, it doesn't link up with the ground radio on AP, or the (flight) radio on the 'bot.

Anything else to do with the radio on the ground station? 

Actually, I think I had to download new software to the other two radios.  Maybe this one needs it too?

Alan KM6VV

• Anyone using the jD-ArduStation with the Graphics LCD?

Is there source code and schematics for it?

Alan KM6VV

• I was just looking at the ACM 2.0.17 code, more specifically the LCD code, and they appear to be using a programmable font.  Normally, this only needs to be done on a graphic LED.  What LCD is being used on the ArduStation2?  With what controller chip (44780)? The code doesn't suggest the controller chip on the LCDisplay.  The graphics display on the ArduStation Mega v1.3 would have a different  LCD, but I haven't seen the code for it.  I don't think it's been published.

Alan  KM6VV

• Admin

@Alan,

I have successfully used the ArduStation2 with the 900MHz Xbees. However you need to update the ArduStation2 firmware to work with Mavlink 1.0: http://code.google.com/p/ardustation-ii/downloads/detail?name=Ardus...

I have ordered an ArduStation Mega from jDrones and it should be here in a couple of weeks. I have ordered a 3DR 915MHz air side tranceiver to go with the ArduStation Mega so I can use either my lap top or the ArduStation Mega without have to switch to the Xbees and then back to the 3DR transceivers.

Regards,

TCIII

This reply was deleted.