New APM 2.46 Firmware Issues

I have upgraded to the new APM 2.46 firmware for my Skid steer.  First off, everything is working very well on the 2.45 version.  As soon as i load the new firmware,  The skid steer steering no longer work.  In manual mode, only forward and reverse work properly.  One side just spins at full speed with the other side at a slightly lower speed. 

I have enabled and disabled all combinations of skid steer input and output.  I reset back to factory defaults and still have the same issues.  What skid steer settings were changed in the new firmware??

Again, everything works perfectly in 2.45.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for the info, i'll play around with some of the settings.  

The strange thing here is, this is all in Manual mode, I haven't even gotten any other mode.

• Admin

@Joseph,

Yes, I have never seen anything like this in the Manual Mode. Usually the issues popup in the Auto Mode:-)

You might try setting the PIVOT_TURN_ANGLE to 0 to see what happens.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Thank Tom, 

Tried the Pivot Turn angle to 0,30, 100,.  No changes at all.

I have switched my Sabertooth to mixing mode, with skid steer out set to off, all works fine.  Returned it to Skid steer out to on  and back in non mixing mode, no dice.

Forward and Backwards works fine, but seems to have a little bit of lag.

Right and Left is only the right side motor, full speed forward and backwards, with the left motor spinning in the same direction only slightly slower. (That would make for an extremely wide turn)

I've reset all setting back to default and just enabled skid steer out.

Specs:

Superdroid LTF platform

2x25 Saber tooth set to Lithium Ion on, Mixing off, Linear response, Micro-controller mode on

Tank style treads.

Good Luck to @Tridge at the AU Outback Challenge

Bobbot APM2.46 settings.param

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702664573?profile=original
    • Developer

Thanks Joseph,

i saw the Rover doing the wide turn in SITL as well on monday and thought it might be because of inaccuracy or because sitl does not know about pivot turn yet.

Thanks for providing parameters and specs, its extremely helpfull!

Linus

• Admin

@Joseph,

The Pivot Turn Angle parameter was added to the 2.46 firmware and that new skid steering function may be causing the problem.

Only Tridge will know for sure and he is presently tied up with the AU Outback Challenge.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Developer

Hi Joseph,

it is difficult to say what might be the cause and i think its probably Tuning related.

At least thats what i tried to rule out today.

It would probably help if you can send us a flash log and tlog. Please write down the complete information about what hardware you are using and how you have setup your vehicle. A Photo of your Hardware would probably a good thing as well.

I did a testrun today with 2.46 but i had not much lucky either.

I will collect a log as well with the PX4 i have on my Thumper and see if that will bring more insights when Tridge has the time to look through it.

I could drive / steer my rover with some pid settings in STEERING mode but could not get it to drive straight through a programmed mission in auto until now.

I will see if 2.45 gets my Thumper on a straight track again as well.

Cheers,

Linus

• Admin

@Joseph,

We will investigate the issue your are having as soon as possible.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

• Thank you,  Let me know if you need any information from my APM.

Joe

This reply was deleted.