seperate ubec or esc's built in bec?

Hello All,

i bought a second hand apm 1, to use with ardurover. looking forward to it, it should arrive in 1-2 weeks. 1 have 1 question. the owner told me i could never use the esc with bec, according to him i always have to take out the red wire from the esc and use a seperate ubec. this because if you plug in the usb without first powering the esc with a battery, there was a chance the esc pulled some power through the usb, causing the bord to blow.

is this correct? are you all using seperate ubecs? i cant find something about it on the forums, thats why i ask:)

thanks in advance!

greets vincent

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i posted it in the gps section, but still didn.t get a response. i just ordered one, hope it wil be here in 1-2 weeks:) then i wil test it!

• is there someone who knows if this gps would be better then the original, and if so, is it possible to use this one without having to reprogram anything? so i just plug it in, wil it work immidiatly?

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=...

thanks in advance

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=763&productname=
  • installed my apm, and loaded the apm rover firmware with the mission planner. so far so good. but only now i cant see the compass value's in hud moving... does anybody knows why?

• Hoi Vincent,

I am not a rover user, but I think this is the same for all vehicles. I ordered a separate BEC yesterday because I want to use 7 servos on my plane and my built in BEC only provides 3A. I think that would be the only reason to have a separate BEC. Having a UBEC (or switching BEC) provides the additional advantage of having less heat produced if you have higher input voltages (3S lipo and up I would say).

The problem you describe regarding having just USB power is not a problem I believe. I have used my ESC's built in BEC, also for quite a while now with a first generation APM 1. If I connected USB only, it caused my servos to jitter and my motor to beep, but did not do any damage; however, I would recommend disconnecting them when you power through usb. I now have a second generation APM 1 (1.4 I believe), and with the same setup, the servos and motor just do nothing if only powered through USB.

What I did in my first setup (first gen APM) was usually to connect the battery when I also connected the USB. 

Hope this helps!

Groeten! Serge

• nobody? how have you guys hooked it up?

This reply was deleted.