Tank Rover Settings

Good Afternoon,

I have a tank and regular car APM 2.6 set up.  The car is working well doing my grid patters, the tank on the other hand, has gone from weaving all over but hitting the way-points, to having seizures or a dance party and randomly driving into things. 

• I have my Sabertooth 2 x 25 set up in RC Mode, Exponential response, Mixing mode.  The APM is NOT in skid steer mode.  
  • The compass is calibrated correctly. 
  • Manual mode is working pretty well.(I think i may need a new RC transmitter though)

My question is how can I adjust the settings to have the tank, do 90 and 180 degree turns on a dime.

I've been trying to find the balance of:

• STEER2SRV_P 
  • TURN_MAX_G  
  • NAVL1_PERIOD  
  • SPEED_TURN_GAIN 
  • CRUISE_SPEED 
  • CRUISE_THROTTLE 

and to correct for weaving but still have a tight turn.

• STEER2SRV_P 
  • STEER2SRV_D 
  • STEER2SRV_TCONST

I'm following http://rover.ardupilot.com/wiki/tuning-steering-and-navigation-for-... for guidance. 

One side questions. Since i'm using an external compass and GPS does the APM 2.6 still have face forward? 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Tom,

If i read the Pivt Turn Angle right, I need to be in in Skid Steer mode on the the APM.  Am i correct in that?

If that's the case, I guess i should turn off mixing mode on the Sabertooth and Enable Skidsteer output on the APM

• Admin

@Joseph,

Yes, I believe that you are now that I think about it.

I have run a Pixhawk, but not an APM in the skid steering mode and it worked very well.

I was using a Sabertooth 2X25 ESC in a 6WD Wild Thumper.

I used these ESC settings for skid steering: 1 OFF, 2 ON, 3 OFF, 4 OFF, 5 ON, 6 OFF.

I was using a LiPo battery to supply the ESC.

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

• Thank Tom,

Your the best.  Hopefully i'll get some time to test out the new settings before i have to demonstrate.  That's why i brought a non skid steer to show off.

This reply was deleted.