Allowed frequencies for UAV in Brazil

Hello,

I would like to fly with my drone in Brazil but I have never been in the country before and I don't speak Portugese so it's hard for me to find information about the allowed frequencies for drones. I'm interested in these frequencies : 433 Mhz, 915 Mhz, 1.3 Ghz, 2.4 Ghz, 5.8 Ghz

Please if you have some relevant information about frequencies, max. range, power restrictions, certification etc. let it share here. If I fly under 100m AGL, is there any restriction to fly (no airports obviously) ? Is the beyond-visual-line-of-sight allowed ? Does anyone care ? Any fines or problems with ANAC if I break rules ?

Thanks !

Michal

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aha so no approval for piloting, only for the equipment. But that can take ages right ? So if I want to fly 1 day, I still need approval of equipment before I fly right ? So is there some special person with email/telephone in Anatel who is responsible for this approval ?

Thanks !

• Well,

is more complicated :)

Where are you intend to fly ?

Anatel is just for frequencies.

About flying, is another government agency called ANAC - they are responsible for aerial space and here they are discussing about what to do with VANTs

Here we have a controversial association called COBRA(http://www.cobra.org.br/) - I don't know about them - but some more experienced friends - since aeroplanes - they are always discussing about regulations and some guys are Ok with Cobra, some guys not.

While definitions is not coming, I'm still flying :)

• Ah so a good old STATUS QUO as in my country.. I know regulatory agencies are very slow in issuing any rules at all so this all gets into the grey zone of free flying again :) My only concern is if the frequencies I want to use are banned or not. I mean if I use them, do I interfere with anyone else ? Especially in the fields/countryside outside the populated areas ? I guess not..

• In 433 MHz maybe you start to open some folks garage door, but nothing too serious :) You can get a 10 dollars USB tv tuner and use it as a Software Defined Radio to check the spectrum on that particular location anyway.

• Ops, just remembered, you SHOULD check the frequency use of 433MHz, my last employer had some projects with the army and I remember they requested 433MHz data modems.

Better be sure before you step on the boots of the buddies that have tanks and big guns.

• All the civil UAV companies that I know in Brazil use 900MHz for telemetry and 2.4GHz for control. No problem with that on the "gray zone"

• better to use 915 Mhz then.. I hope 2.4 Ghz for RC is not a problem.. I will try to check the 1.3 and 5.8 Ghz in place then.. Thanks

• These frequencies are open, but not for UAV use. This is a limbo right now, if you want to play by the  rule you can ask for a temporary permit to use a determined frequency on a limited area, but you are right, it'll take ages to get that.

The last ANAC meeting that I went with the presence of ANATEL they are talking about this:

Video data: 5030-5151 MHz
      Telemetry, takeoff and landing: 4400-4429 MHz
      Backup: 322-328 MHz

But this was just a draft of a proposal. Reference (portuguese only) http://www.dcabr.org.br/download/eventos/eventos-realizados/2010/se...

http://www.dcabr.org.br/download/eventos/eventos-realizados/2010/seminario-vant-27-10-2010/apr/04_T…
    • Thanks for the info. The document is 4 years old.. Anyway those frequencies you are talking about are useless for us.. If you want to use Pixhawk with telemetry (433/915), which frequency has better signal in your country ? I guess 915 Mhz should be OK since you are part of America..

Then for the RC most of the corrent ones use 2.4 Ghz so I hope this is OK because it's free wifi frequency anywhere in the world..

For the FPV I consider 1.3 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz because these are what's left to do not interfere with telemetry and RC..

This reply was deleted.