3 Axis Gimbal for Iris+ - looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3-axis gimbal for an Iris+?

The only option I have found out there is the DYS 3 Axis.  Are there any others that work with a GoPro Hero 4 Black?

Thanks, erik

p.s.

If someone who owns a DYS and an Iris sees this, I have a few questions:

1. Does the DYS integrate with pixhawk?
    • Meaning in auto missions or follow me, will the Iris+ be able to tilt the camera up and down to keep the subject in frame?
  2. Is there an interface plate, or do I have to find someone to 3D print one for me?
  3. Does the DYS work with a GoPro 4 black?
  4. How are the vibration levels?
  5. Is it difficult to install
    • Complicated software config I can handle, but on the hardware side I'm pretty awful at soldering and tend to really mess things up.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yep, I run the same SD Card in my GoPro Hero 4 Black.  Seems to do just fine.

Raw video off of the P3 looks really good in my opinion, even at 4K.

As said just about everywhere else, prop balance and proper dampers seem to be the key.  My DYS has way too soft dampers, and I think that contributes to some of the unwanted movements in my videos.  Tried using the DJI white damper balls in the DYS holes, too big.  Have to see if Tarot dampers will fit.

• The black tarot dampners will fit. I use them on both my dys gimbles on Iris and x8. Still dealing with some vibrations. I think the standoffs are hitting the thru holes on the upper plate, so im going to dremil out the holes bigger so they do not contact the standoffs.

• DYS 3-Axis horizon drift (at 3:02, 3:20, 3:28):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1l6aTePWeU

Feiyu Tech Horizon drift (at 2:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt_6BO2rFeE

• I just discovered this topic while looking for the best upgrade from my Tarot T-2D to a 3 axis gimbal, and the only two choices I was aware of were the DYS and the Feiyu. It looks like there's a new player now: SteadyGo http://xproheli.com/products/new-steadygo-3-axis-high-torque-gimbal...

Has anyone heard about this gimbal or found demo footage yet? It claims to be high torque, and looks nice - but I haven't seen any footage yet.

• I believe the iris was on it's own from about 22 seconds to 52secs, that is I let it go where ever the wind took it without any interference from me on the controls whatsoever 

• Hi Eric, thanks for the reply. I have tried to stabilize the footage with premiere 6 but find it goes to crap when stabilized because of all the fine detail of the foliage. Plus if can introduce some funky side effects.

For part of the video I simply let the wind take the iris wherever it wanted so I have no interaction with the controller. I way trying to illustrate how it has the jitter without any interaction from me.

I do have the black dampners installed and even tried the earplugs but didn't see any improvement so I removed them.

I haven't calibrated the imu/6 point ever so I will try that. I may also experiment with the pid settings if that doesn't work since I can always reload the settings

I was wondering Erik if you are totally happy with yours as I got the impression it was better than trot but not totally smooth.

Can't believe I just responded on multiple phone!
    • I have tried to stabilize the footage with premiere 6 but find it goes to crap when stabilized because of all the fine detail of the foliage. Plus if can introduce some funky side effects.

The Warp Stabilizer in Adobe Premiere is very good, so I'm surprised you are having issues.  Overall, I find Adobe's User Interface to be to clunky and complicated, so I have pretty much switched over to Final Cut X.  In Final Cut, I find the "inertia cam" setting is best for most aerial video, except selfies/dronies.  I think you should be able to get good results with the Warp Stabilizer, but you might have to experiment and research.

For part of the video I simply let the wind take the iris wherever it wanted so I have no interaction with the controller. I way trying to illustrate how it has the jitter without any interaction from me.

Would you mind pointing out a section of the video where you do that.  ie. from x to y seconds in.  I just want to make sure we are looking at the same thing.

I do have the black dampners installed and even tried the earplugs but didn't see any improvement so I removed them.

Have you tried the grey dampners that came with the DYS?  Personally I use the black, but maybe in your temperature/atmosphere the grey will work better.  As I mentioned previously, what I see in that video isn't so much "jitters" as it is sloshing (for lack of a better term).  I could be completely wrong about this, but maybe the DYS grey dampers will work better.

I haven't calibrated the imu/6 point ever so I will try that. I may also experiment with the pid settings if that doesn't work since I can always reload the settings

The best tip I got was from a pro who gave me the rule of thumb, regardless of gimbal or any other setup, recalibrate your IMU every few hours of flight time (I do it every 8 hours) or every 2 days - whichever comes first.  Also, the ESC calibration is easy and quick, so thats worth it.  The compass calibration is a different story.  Sometimes if the compass is just a little off, I think you can get some weird little jiggling even though you don't get the full toilet bowl effect.  It could just be in my head though.  Anyway, I finally got my compass dialed in really tight, and now I don't mess with it (though I might when I travel).

I was wondering Erik if you are totally happy with yours as I got the impression it was better than trot but not totally smooth.

I'm actually pretty happy with it.  Its not perfect unless there is literally no wind.  But its good enough that I can always  make final tweaks in post to get the footage stable and clean.  I may have linked to this video earlier in this thread, but it was all shot while I learned the Iris+ using the DYS gimbal.  Its a practice video, but I was pretty happy with the results.  I have some other videos that I have to get permission to show, but this should give you an idea of what I think you can get.  Notice how windy it is in the opening sequence (you can see the trees blowing starting at about 14 seconds in).  I thought the Iris+/DYS/GoPro did a pretty good job.  https://vimeo.com/121777897

• Erik, great video!!  Enough with the gimbal, I want to know about your processing/color correction/grading.  Also, what kind of sharpening are you adding, is that all shot protune, 1080p/60fps?  The picture was so crisp, I am having issues figuring out how to get a good image from my Hero 4 Silver.

• LOL.  Thank you.

To be honest that was just a test video.  As far as color correction, I try to get by with the stock color board in Final Cut.  First I do exposure.  Within that I do the blacks first.  Then the highlights.  Then the midtones. If I need more control, I use Nattress Curves Luma.  Then I do the color.  For the most part I just try to get the white balance correct, or skin tones if there are people in the shot.  So basically I do a pass on all the clips to get exposure and color balanced out and corrected.  Others skip right to the grading.  Until last week when the color board was moved into Effects, I used an adjustment layer I created in Motion.  Its basically a title with no content.  i put that over the slip and then do any color grading to that.  In this video there wasn't a lot of color grading done.  I wanted to show my parents their farm (and the mountain) in different lights.  

As for sharpness, I almost never sharpen.  The image naturally sharpens up when you adjust the exposure.  What I do is shoot and edit almost exclusively in 4K.  When you shoot in edit in 4K, then export to 1080P, you get a better image than if you shoot in 1080P.  There is one sequence in that video where I shot in 1080P by mistake though.  Since it was just a test movie (mostly to show my parents their farm from the air), I used the 1080P footage anyway.  You can tell if you watch the video.  Its all the shots from the top of the mountain.

So my GoPro settings are 4K, 30fps, Wide, Protune, Flat Color (lately I've been trying GoPro color and liking it), Native white point.  I like using the native white point instead of setting it to 5500 because I want the GoPro doing as little processing as possible - just capture the data and record it at the highest bit rate possible.  

In this video, I also added some blur around the edges because I like the look.  And I guess I should mention that I letterboxes it - but thats kind of obvious.  There is very little slow motion in the video, I just fly super slow.  For example, the opening scene and closing scene look like they are slow motion, but they are at full speed.

Oh and one other thing.  I happen to like the look of fisheye.  Especially for mountainous and hilly areas, I think it looks good.  By the time I crop in the image a bit to reframe, or apply image stabilization (which crops in automatically), combined with letterbox... the fisheye is reduced.  I almost always try out a fisheye remover on clips, but never end up liking it as much.  Its different for more flat landscapes though.

• Thank you for your reply.  This video editing is a new thing for me and a new software and workflow to learn.  I am extremely competent at adjusting still images in Lightroom but video has proven more difficult for me.  I have a hero 4 Silver, so I do not shoot in 4K as it does not have 30fps.  Of course you are using FC, and I have chosen Premiere as my home workstation is a PC.  Do you ever apply LUT's? I saw a video about adding a LUT to an adjustment layer to "fix" protune videos.

This reply was deleted.