3 Axis Gimbal for Iris+ - looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 3-axis gimbal for an Iris+?

The only option I have found out there is the DYS 3 Axis.  Are there any others that work with a GoPro Hero 4 Black?

Thanks, erik

p.s.

If someone who owns a DYS and an Iris sees this, I have a few questions:

1. Does the DYS integrate with pixhawk?
    • Meaning in auto missions or follow me, will the Iris+ be able to tilt the camera up and down to keep the subject in frame?
  2. Is there an interface plate, or do I have to find someone to 3D print one for me?
  3. Does the DYS work with a GoPro 4 black?
  4. How are the vibration levels?
  5. Is it difficult to install
    • Complicated software config I can handle, but on the hardware side I'm pretty awful at soldering and tend to really mess things up.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In general I do not apply LUTs. Mostly I do it by hand. I do use filmconvert (but not in the video you are looking at). I might apply a LUT depending on what look I am going for.

There is nothing wrong with 4K at 24 fps. Combine that with a 23.5 Letterbox and you get a very cinematic feel.
  • has anyone use the DYS to pan or just tilt ?

• Just tilt on the Iris+

Unless you have retractable landing gear, you would not want to pan anyway.  Better off doing that by yawing the whole Iris.  Basically there is just enough side to side real-estate to allow the gimbal to soften yaw twitches and jiggles.  Actually, if you yaw to fast, you can easily expose the landing gear... but fast movements like that don't make for good video anyway, so seeing the landing gear is the least of your problems in those instances.

• Here are links to 3 images that *might* be helpful if you are trying to install a DYS 3 axis on an Iris+.

Front View: http://screencast.com/t/pxSSqPmCqH
    Back View: http://screencast.com/t/7PnKfx9kEO5z
    Close up of pins: http://screencast.com/t/9aIBYPxHn0YV

These images will eventually get removed from the site where they are hosted. If someone has the time and wants to "do a good deed" it would be great if they could properly upload these images to this thread and embed them in a post. I'll probably do it myself at some point, but I'm feeling kinda lazy...
    • I decided to go ahead and upload these images to this thread.  They are slightly different than the ones linked to above (same pictures, just changed some of the labels).

I hope this helps anyone looking to install the DYS someday:

3702551191?profile=original

3702551252?profile=original .  3702551068?profile=original

• Erik:

Would you be interested in sharing your PIDs / settings?

Also what firmware revision are you running?

• I would be happy to.

I will have to cart out my PC to connect and check.  Probably will be a while before I get around to that (within a few days at most).

I did not actually configure much myself - thats why I went for the more expensive xproheli version.  There was a warning in the instructions about NOT using the latest firmware and not updating whenever firmware comes out until they have a chance to check things out at xproheli.  

• Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

For the most part, following the settings in Kerry Garrison's video (RocketVideo / RCGroups), I've been able to get a fairly stable image.  The problem I have been struggling with is getting YAW to operate properly in the "Follow" mode.  Mine always seems to drift a few degrees to the left when moving in the forward direction.  There is a YAW offset, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Just curious what settings you are running, then I can compare.

Thanks again!

• Well, I decided to jump on this now.

The following screen shots should answer all your questions.  I grabbed a screen shot of each Tab in the configuration software.  The PIDs are in the Basic Tab.

Since my DYS came pre-configured and pre-programed, the only changes I've ever made are to the Pitch Min and Max angle on the RC Settings Tab.

3702876895?profile=original

3702877180?profile=original

3702877240?profile=original

3702877194?profile=original

3702877260?profile=original

3702877357?profile=original

• Erik, Thank you so much for this great info on the your research.  I find myself in the same situation (wanting to get better video) and was leaning toward the FyTech Fy-G3 gimbal (based on the afore mentioned youtube videos).

Total newbie question - I have only been flying in "Loiter" mode while capturing with my Tarot 2D & GP3 and have noticed the yaw you mention.  Are you in "standard" more when you fly?  I'm under the impression the video would be better in STD mode.  Does one always fly without GPS to get the best video? Sorry haven't had much flight time due to work.

The other question is do you feel the price XProHeli charges for the gimbal vs a eBay seller is worth the difference?  You mentioned you don't use the mod switch and I don't know how much the software cost but it sounds like you have gotten some tech support from them. Plus it looks like they add the brass standoffs

Again Thanks so much It's been really helpful

This reply was deleted.