Replies

• Could you throw up a link to that battery? I think I'd like to use it regardless of whether I get the gimbal. Also could one shave down the long legs a little (reduce the number of crosspieces, etc) to reduce weight? I think even 3DR admitted that they are too heavy right now.

• trimmed my legs also. got 7 grams of each of them. You looking for the link to the battery that I ordered? (4500)  the 5000 mah is listed above in beaus thread.

http://https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?id...

that thunder power would be a great battery also.

• Sorry your link is broken, could it be this one?

Link

Thanks!

• Yes That's it

• After 19 flights on my Iris I am ready to try something. I find it impossible to get more than 11 minutes fight time with the stock batteries (3 of them) running all the way to the battery failsafe with zero payload(no long legs either). I upgraded to a $90 battery and got to 13 minutes. 

To get 10 minutes with the gimbal and camera doesn't seem possible without modifications. My local hobby shop has 3 blade props. I will look this week for something that might work but we probably are going to need a different motor style to get 15 minutes without payload.

Do carbon fiber props make much difference?

mp

• Mark, 

did you ever end up trying the 3 blade props?

• No. As of this week I have pretty much given up on the Iris. After about 70 to 80 flights of pure misery due to the Pixhawk pressing on Iris issue I put a mast on it which turned it into a perfect bird with 25 perfect, uneventful flights, then I put the GoPro, gimbal and legs on it and the misery started all over again due to lack of lifting power(see this thread). Then last night I decided to revert to stock and remove the payload. When I powered it back up my LED on the battery door quit working and I started getting pre-arm compass warnings. Tried about 10 compass calibrations(which I usually don't have trouble with) and finally got a good cal and now I get "excess compass offsets" warning keeping it from arming. I have never had compass issues since the mast was installed. I am suspecting I2C issues since the LED and the compass are the only devices connected to the I2C buss.

I am really tired of constantly troubleshooting out of the box issues on an RTF bird only for the experts to tell me that the Iris doesn't have enough power for the payload advertised. I know there are other people getting different results but if you read the thread linked above you will see that I have tried everything except replacing the $140 4n1 ESC and power module which requirers complete disassembly and 16 solder joints. I don't mind soldering at all but I want to be building instead of replacing almost every component on an RTF.

I am going to build a TBS Discovery Pro and put my PIxhawk and other 3DR electronics in it. Have you had issues with the full camera and gimbal payload?

I can say that I have learned a lot more than I would have had I not purchased a problematic product. I chalk it up as a $1k crash course in the APM platform.

mp

• Mark,

you are definitely not alone with your frustration. I've voiced my discontent with IRIS as a RTF model many times and I have not changed that opinion: With all the issues (some of them listed here: http://diydrones.com/group/iris/forum/topics/is-there-an-updated-li... and the list still growing) IRIS is definitely not a RTF model for beginners or consumers that want to use if for filming or taking pictures.

I've been very close to trashing or selling my IRIS. Especially after 3DR has been less than professional dealing with complaints and feedback about these issues (That's one reason why I'm not going back to ardupilot.com. Also that's the place where they would ban you for being honest.)

I'm pretty much done with IRIS as for the use case that I initially bought it for: FPV + Filming/Picture taking with a Gimbal. Instead I use it as learning device in two regards:

- I already learned a lot about really poor design of a quad and what not to do. With that I'm confident that I can either build myself a better quad (which I still don't want to do) or buy one that is actually RTF, without getting cheated into a piece of junk again.

- Also I use it to practice flying, ranging from Stabilize mode to Auto mode. I will only take IRIS to an open space like a Baseball field, where I can practice. If I crash her, that's not ideal, but in the end it's just IRIS - a piece of junk to begin with. Better crash that one and learn from it, than a real quad.

Try to harvest the good pieces out of IRIS, which is probably the Pixhawk, GPS module, Telemetry module, RC module, and Gimbal. ESC, motors, and everything else appears to be garbage. Then build a real quad with it.

My 2c 

Chris 

• Hi Christian.

Like you mention Im using Iris as a test for testing Mission planner and hardware (radio etc) so Im reasonably happy.

I had bought a larger octo as my first and quickly realsie d I had bitten of mroe than I could Chew.

Iris was a good way tio learn and transfer the knowledge across.

Thinking later to use it as a reapeating unit in the air esp with follow me being developed. Could make nice link between an exploring UAV and controller if the signal is occluded.

-P

• you are not alone. tomorrow I will tell you what I went through. shame they do not listen to advice from us users. in short, two times sent back, one replacement and finally returned for a refund. if they would have taken some suggestions many months ago there would have been many happier users. it is being sold as RTF it truly is not if you want the equipment you and I have had to work correctly!
This reply was deleted.