Happy new IRIS+ pilot

There are so many posts about problems. After ordering an IRIS+ I almost got worried that it will not work as shown on the nice 3DR videos on youtube.

The last two days I could do my very first 4 test flights. Unfortunately all at night (too busy at work and getting dark too early).

I did not dare to try to much due to the low light conditions.

However. Stabilize, Pos. Hold and RTL works fine. As advertised...

I will try soon follow me and auto missions and I am confident it will work out as shown on the 3DR videos.

To all who hesitate and are wondering if it's worth to get an IRIS+

YES. It works!

PS.: Having experience with model aircraft and being able to fly them manually (stabilize mode, land, take off, fly nose-in, etc.) will help a lot. I could imagine totally newbies might have more challenges.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is it maybe normal and if I would increase to the max of 20mW I would get the suggested 200-300m range? However where I am only <10mW is allowed.

• Isn't that limit for Continuous Wave Signal output on a given channel/band? I'd max it out considering the modulation scheme is digital FHSS and you are spreading a tiny signal over a broad (relatively) piece of RF band.

You should be able to get 50% signal @ 500 1km.

• I think at the beginning for me it was a kind of similar, but on my case i had a lot of troubles trying to put my Iris in the air, and certainly things goes very different as are shown on 3DR videos, the only thing that i can say of Iris +, is that most of their materials even if don´t look fine or with detail care,  they're for sure very resistant, 

• Update:

Had a chance to try the first auto mission. Very successful. Works as shown on the 3DR videos.

I saved it from its first potential crash: The second time I tried the same mission I forgot that I armed the Iris close to the car...

So the typical mistake described at many places. As I had a RTL at the end of the mission the IRIS was intending to hit some trees to reach the location where the car was parked and were I armed and took off the first time. Before the auto mission I landed at a different place, from where I started the auto mission without re-arming.

Luckily I managed to switch to stab and saved her before hitting the trees.

• How do you perform follow me? Im using tower and droid planner on a nexxis tablet and I do not see the button to select follow me. I see selfie, arm and take off but no follow me. Help.

• Figured it out. you dont see all the flight options until you arm and spool up the motors. Then i see follow me. Still chiken tomtry it!
    • Take Off First.... then do the "Guide" mode setup.  Be careful with your "Cone" around the follow/guiding subject... and don't walk under trees or you may lose clean GPS data.... critical for the mode to work.

The faster you go..... I'd suggest the wider the cone/cylinder boundary.  Experiment with it.  I have a video out on youtube showing my first attempt. My wife had the tablet in her bike basket... she heard all the errors and status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSr9Ta0CHyg

• Enjoy it! The posts are for help.... not everyone needs support, but its great when you do to use this forum for answers

Relating my personal experience.... bought my Iris+ from a retailer (Fry's) along with about any extra part/option they had on the shelf, plus a carry case and FPV kit....etc.

Unit could not fly out of the box, so I spent a LOT of time calibrating compass, IMU's, accelerometers and ESC..... then it flew very well for about a month and a half..... until I had an incident during a guided-mode test.

Suffice to say, if you keep using Drone-share and use the Tower app to auto upload your flight logs etc, 3DR can check on any incident you have.  Mine was a gyro glitch that caused a lock-up of the Pixhawk....and resultant fly away.  And damn the Iris can cover ground fast when its lost its mind!  BUT, I used the Tower app to locate it in a forest, and recovered it within a few feet from displayed location.

3DR is in process of replacing my unit. I expect to be flying again with new FPV display, gimbal, quad-copter, android tablet, mount for Soto Action Cam, GoPro 4 Silver and a couple new payloads I've been working on whilst grounded. (based on Canon P&S cameras)

• Same with me on my x8 and Iris. Flew bad out of the box but as soon as I calibrated everything they seem to fly okay. Still not impressed with altitude hold even after doing a auto tune on both crafts.

• If the props are balanced REALLY good you can get a 1m accuracy. You might have to balance them yourself perhaps they didn't ship as good as hoped. 

This reply was deleted.