Alright, this time I'll try to whine and complain a little less, but I think this is it. After replacing gimbal after gimbal, broken arm after broken arm (are they always the blue ones that break?), watching my Iris drop dead from the sky time after time, I'm just ready to get out of this abusive expensive relationship.
I will give it just 1 more chance though.... and it hinges on how 3DR support will reply to my email I sent today. Will they blame the pilot, again? Or will they say "hey, you know what, you just might have a bad piece of hardware"
I took my Iris out to the park, wanting to practice some Follow Me paths while riding my bike. Well, I didn't even get to hop on my bike before the Iris crashed twice, both times killing power in the air.
The first crash was luckily only 3 feet off the ground, so it landed on all 4 legs. I flew it again, hovering around 4 - 5 feet for a minute or so just to see if it would kill again, nope, I landed it.
Maybe I'm arrogant, but this time I tried launching with the Tower app. Launched fine, and as it climbs to about 20 feet I realize if it falls from that height, it might do some damage, so I pressed "Land" on my phone, and the Land button must be 3DR for "kill power and dive" because that's what happened.
I wasn't so lucky this time, it took a nose dive breaking an arm and the gimbal. Fortunately THIS time my GoPro was not harmed.
If anybody wants to waste some time trying to investigate a problem I expect 3DR Support will blame on pilot error, here are my logs from today. But please, if you do find out what happened (other than it looks like you lost power here...), I would appreciate some feedback. It would be interesting to see if 3DR support has a different answer too.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63m1xapf0gawg4n/AADrnUObnQXgrZT2y63jTtYYa?dl=0
Here is also the entire video, uncut from today, for your laughter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG9649RKpAg
Like I said, 3DR has 1 last chance to impress me. I've just received a bonus check from work for a couple thousand dollars, and I'm buying a new drone. 3DR Solo? DJI Phantom 4? Let's see how this support call turns out. Last time they offered me a 15% discount on an overpriced Tarot gimbal. No help with my crushed GoPro. Not even a constellation prize set of propellers.
Replies
the fameous "Just want to". Was that the reason why you crashed. P4 will not meet your "just want to" spec. Its optical flow avoidance system will give the user false security and the "just want to" users will steer the P4 right into trouble. P4 was only out couple months, there were several incidents caused by "just want to" flyers.
Good Luck With That.
Ha ha, you guys are still arguing about this. I keep getting alerts of new replies, and sure enough, Yun Tak is fighting like a champion to promote how my Iris is in excellent condition.
Hey, I've got an Iris+ for sale, everybody says it's in perfect condition, who would like to buy? Maybe I'll start another thread and post pictures of everything included in the package. We all know it includes an Iris+ in mint condition.
Thanks to certain people in this thread, they've made it VERY easy for me to move on from 3DR and purchase my next drone elsewhere. Thanks all!
How much? I'd love a fixer-upper.
Hmmm, good question. I'll probably be selling it all with a backpack carrier, live view kit including the 7" screen, gimbal, 6 extra motors, 3 batteries... I'll have to see what a good price is. I'd like to get rid of it soon, maybe half of retail price? Everything is 1 year old or newer. I'll have to see what everybody else is selling theirs for.
Of course I'll fix the arm, I've got a spare, and I've just replaced the gimbal mount too.
I think I'll take a photo of everything I'm selling and I'll post in a new thread.
Thanks
Just found this survey about DJI, not everything is gold what glitters...I think both sides do have their pro and cons.
Here are the results:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R4MaX8iZWRoyzKJ6rKr0U-p3x-6j0ZVm5a...
Or if you would like to take part on this survey AND you have a google account:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1R4MaX8iZWRoyzKJ6rKr0U-p3x-6j0ZVm5a...
Cheers, Robert
This does not even have the current class of DJI flight controllers in the P3/P4 and Inspire as an option. I am not sure how relevant it really is if it is so incomplete and is only addressing mostly legacy FCs. I am not much of a fan boy but it is generally accepted that the latest offerings from DJI are not so afflicted with fly-away syndrome.
If you take in the consideration of number of unit sold (http://fortune.com/2015/04/08/dji-drones/ 30,000 per month), the percentage of fly away is very low.
As the government expects a million drones sold in 2015 x'mas season, even a very small percentage, the number of incident is still looks high.
I had a look at the log which must correspond to the video and it looks like a pretty clear case of an ESC/Motor failure of the front left motor (#3). It's clear because as the troubles start motor #3 (front left) goes to full while it's opposite (#4, back right) goes to minimum. Despite the front-left motor being at full throttle, the vehicle starts rotating forward and left (both pitch and roll become negative - see 2nd graph below).
If it's a new IRIS, I'd hope that 3DR would replace the vehicle for you. I have no power over them of course, I hope the graphs above help convince them that it's a mechanical issue (i.e. ESC/Motor).
I believe OP case clearly shows the important of the need for on the site diagnostic tool. As now, all the development efforts are concentating on features for fancy picture shot and drone movement. I know these features sell the drone but lack of safety and diagnostic features enforce the impression of unsafe flying weed eater. my 2 cents.
-
1
-
2
-
3
-
4
-
5
of 9 Next