IRIS flight time with stock 3DR battery

I just came across this video on Youtube from DJI where they demonstrate their claim of a 25 minute flight time for the Phantom 2 vision with a demo flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyqPLyR3j0

So far I have not been able to get my IRIS close to the 15 minutes that 3DR advertises. Even without any camera or front mount. Only way to do so is to really badly damage the battery. 

It would be interesting if 3DR could produce a similar demo video to the one above and show us how to get to the 15 minutes. Just like with DJI, the flight should be over with the battery failsafe kicking in. 

Thoughts? 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello
      apple should not be compared with one pear.
      the construction of the DJI is quite different than that of the iris.
      I doubt that the DJI 25 minutes flying.
      8-12 minutes is realistic in the IRIS

• Rainer,

Then 3DR should advertise 8 to 12 minutes for the IRIS, right?

• Under real conditions where I'm not just hovering in one spot I get 8-9 minutes tops. I would be giddy with 12. 15 is just crazy talk unless you're jamming a 5000 mAh in there.

• I am 'Jamming' a 5000MAH in there and still just get 12. But I was told to change the confing in mission planner to tell it that your using a 5000. He says it might increase the flight time. Not sure how because IRIS uses battery voltage to decide when to land not batt%.

• The most I can get is about 12 mins with gopro and gimbal. Id love to get 20 mins but even 15mins would be great.

• Mark,

Which battery are you using to get the 12 min? I just put the gimbal, legs and go pro on mine for the first time today (after 103 flights)  and I can't even get 10 with the Zippy 5000. I get 16 with zero payload.

Actually I'm not sure what it gets because when it gets below 10.7 volts it doesn't have enough power to stay in the air.

With the thunder pro 3850 don't even get 8 minutes going down to 10.3 volts.

I changed some tuning settings tonight and I"ll try the 5000 again but I'm not very optimistic. If I can get 12 minutes with full payload I'll be happy.

Thanx,

mp

This reply was deleted.