IRIS shopping list

Hi.

I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive platform to try out aerial photography. I'm not really interested in building my own drone so there seem to be only two popular options: either one of the DJI Phantoms or the 3DR Iris.  I understand that neither is a perfect platform but the Iris seems to be the better of the two so that's the way I'm leaning.

I'm trying to work through what I'm going to need but 3DR's shop seems to mainly cater for hobbyists who want to put it together themselves, and know what they're looking for.  There's also a lot of information here but some of it seems to refer to the development kit version of the Iris, which is a bit confusing for me.

I think I may have got it narrowed down to the following though. Does this look right?  What have I missed?

3DRAeroworksHobbyking
Iris RTF$750.00
Gimbal$219.00
GoPro$299.99
Battery pack$35.00
Spares?
FPV tx$149.96
Black Pearl Monitor$199.00
Zippy 5Ah$22.90
Plugs for Zippy?
$1,675.85$1,502.99$149.96$22.90

I have the following doubts:

Can anyone confirm that I can use a Google Nexus 7 tablet with the planner software and hardware to set up autonomous flights? Does the RTF kit include all the hardware I need for that?

Does the charger that comes with the IRIS charge the higher capacity Zippy 5Ah batteries or do I need something more powerful?

How easy is it in practice to unscrew the arms on the Iris to reduce its space needs for transport? From the manual section on replacing the arms it seems it should be pretty straightforward, but does that that hold up in practice?

Ian

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ian,

DroidPlanner works well on the Nexus 7. You can charge the Zippy 5Ah battery on the supplied charger but it will take a while as the max charge on the supplied charger is only 3 amps. As far as removing the arms for transport, one could but it would be a pain.  Most people I know remove the props if the have a case.

Good Luck

• Thanks Kevin.

Would only want to remove the arms for air travel: 3DR's case is big and weighs in at 20lbs. Not really compatible with today's friendly sky's luggage policies :(   As long as it didn't take more than an hour to reattach at my destination I'd be ok.  Not intending to disconnect the motor cables, just want to get it in my normal luggage.

• Hi Ian,   If you haven't already found it, some tips about traveling with a drone system are on this page.

• Thanks John, useful!

This reply was deleted.