Had previously drone on APM 2.5, performance terrible. Wouldn't hover, very squirrelly in GPS, yaw all over the place and (apparently commonplace) blowing of components on the board. Since bought fc40 and it's what I want in terms of reliability and performance, but poor fpv, no gimbal, no autonomy.
All I want is a stable, controllable platform for my gopro; the things I film don't move so no high performance required. I want to fly the thing, not spend hours at a workbench.
Would you recommend the iris+ and Tarot 2, yes or no?
Replies
Seeing how you want to fly and not tinker I'd say
start with the stock tx. Especially since now they're modded
to read out vital telemtry data.
Later on as you progress and get to know your new
bird you can bind the Taranis with the stock rx.
I've got mine set up with Taranis and it wasn't too difficult to
configure thanks to Scott Page's 5 video Taranis series.
I watched video #2 multiple times to understand the logic
and set up for Taranis.
So...four simple questions...
Manual flying (atti mode) - is it slow and graceful or fast and twitchy?
Hovering - will it hold a given height without constant throttle adjustment?
GPS mode - does it stay in one place and make gradual corrections or is it visibly "hunting" for position all the time?
Reliability - the APM 2.5 blew a diode/resistor (no one can reliably tell me which) on the power rail and I found many people had the same problem. Has anyone heard reports of similar failures on the IRIS?
Thanks!
In that vid at one poiint you're looking vertically down...can you control gimbal pitch from the controller?
Only thing in your replies that gives me concern is the hover position. I was amazed how rock solid hte FC40 was after months of fighting the "uppydownies" with my APM 2.5 (and no better when converted to 2.6) quad.
Another minor question, what sort of props does it take? My old APM was on 10x4.5s. How do they fasten on to the motors?
I have both. To compare the Phantom to the iPhone is giving it way too much credit. Even if your an Android guy and an iPhone hater, it's still giving DJI way to much credit to compare it to an iPhone.
At first the Phantom was indeed easy, but very quickly many problems cropped up. From an insufficiently shielded GPS reciever, to numerous firmware upgrade snafus and bugs, to ESCs burning out.
Compared to my Iris+, I've spent way more time cracking open the Phantom to make fixes and mods just to get it to work. It's true that at first it was easier. I think that's an area where 3DR can improve, but once you get your Iris+ dialed in, it requires a lot less maintenance on the bench.
Dealing with DJI is an absolute nightmare. Customer support seems to be an alien concept to them. Their policy is to deny, deny, deny - then claim user error. Basically they are useless. If you want help on any DJI product, go to www.PhantomPilots.com.
Contrast that with 3DR. I've sent 2 questions to their support email and they replied the next morning. Hell, one time they actually reached out to me to offer help after I posted on this forum about a crash (I'd breached the GEO Fence).
Last fall, DJI quietly updated their assistant application, but they didn't change the version number on their download page. Eventually a guy on PhantomPilots figured out what they had done and we were able to re download the software - a critical step to getting their new gimbal tilt controller to work.
Lately there have been numerous problems with Phantom firmware updates and iPhone app updates. As usual, DJI has denied everything, until they were finally forced to admit that the latest update was borked and it had to be withdrawn. I could go on.
No offence intended, but you might be more of a DJI customer.
None taken Hans...I assume from that you mean the Iris still requires considerable maintenance?
-
1
-
2
of 2 Next