IRIS Upgrade topic?

Hi all,

I'am a proud owner of my 3DR Iris copter and a I have a hard time replacing her because I just like the quad so much. But the Iris is not perfect and I would like to share my experience and also would love to hear your experience.

What I modified so far:

• Added spacers to the frame, this means I can now insert much larger lipo's and still be able to close the lid.
  • Added a BEC, this means I can now add a 4S Lipo
  • Added 1.3 Ghz FPV System
  • Added MinimOSD
  • Added bluetooth Telemetry
  • Added Immersion RC 433 EZUHF RC
  • I currently use Zippy Compact 4S 4000MAH 25C lipo's

Total weight including lipo = 1532 Gram

What I would like to add:

• I've ordered a Feiyu Tech 3 Axis Mini gimbal (weight 220 gram including camera (70 gram)1506110906396423.jpg

• I've ordered retracts (Weight 130 Grams)

• I've ordered the Multistar 4s 5200Mah 10c @ Hobbyking for more flight time 56840.jpg

What about the performance?

I think this is where it can make or brake my Iris, I would like to gather as much information as I can to optimize the performance, I'm aiming at around 13 Min of flight time.

What I achieved right now:

With some reading and help of the guys at Cloud-surfer.net I saw that some people were achieving these flight times of 13 min. But I have the feeling I'm not there and I was wondering If I can even get that close. I started to register my flights and started to tweak and test different runs with changes, but so far I didnt achieve much.

The sheet below are some testflights in hover mode, except for the last run.

3691216587?profile=original

Im not yet sure what to think of it, this week I will get my new lipo and hopefully that changes some.
I Would also like to try the 9" graupner props, but I dont really know what the difference can be.

With these results, I think I will not reach the 13 min flight time, since I will be adding 350gram of weight.

3691216490?profile=original

3691216638?profile=original

3691216656?profile=original

3691216715?profile=original

Hope you guys can help me out, looking forward to it :)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Did you research the specs of the ecs  and motors to see if they are rated for 4 s? Did you change your prop size and pitch for the extra rpm of your motors? Something you may want to think about. The esc's may be okay now but over the period of time may burn out early. Just dont fly around people so when it does happen you wont get sued!

• What is the weight fir each configuration?

Jim

• Hi Jim,

The weight of each configuration is almost the same, the only difference are the props but those grams are minor, is that what you are looking for? The 3 lipo's I've used so far are all the same Zippy Compact 4s 4000mah 25c.

Total weight including 4000mah Lipo = 1532 Gram

This reply was deleted.