Telemetry Link

During my first few flights I noticed that I would lose telemetry on the radio when the aircraft was around 100ft in elevation and I was standing, not quite underneath, but in close proximity.

When I flew at lower altitudes and over 400ft away from the transmitter, I never lost telemetry.

The antenna on the Iris was in the up position and the radio side antenna was slightly angled.

I do live in an area with a substantial amount of RF.

Unfortunately I didn't have a ground station running only the radio.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If I'm reading the attached logs correctly, it looks like to me that the RSSI increased every time the BarAlt increased. I don't see where it dropped out.

In the future I plan to bring my MS Surface with me as a ground station. Should help with this sort of thing.

Edit: Derp, I just thought it through. The RSSI is the aircraft side not the remote.

• I believe the IRIS monitor the RSSI signal strength and logs it.  So it should be possible to fly it around and then take a look at the logs and see where things get bad.  Plot a graph of the signal strength or errors and compare it to the GPS plot and see what might be going on.

I however have not notice any issues with it other than the signal strength not being report correctly in Mission Planner.

• I've been noticing this with mine too. Sometimes it's really good and others it's not. I think by messing with the radio settings helps get better signal. Also different 900MHz antennas might help. http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-using-the-3dr-radio-for-tel...

This reply was deleted.