New to multirotor!

Hi ladies (possibly) and lads.

I have bought a Sky Hero Anakin and fitted it out with a Pixhawk 2.4.8. After a couple of minor technical connection problems, i have now got it in the air, but somewhat very precariously. I have replaced the "one shot" ESC's with T-Power 15a individual ESC's, and gone through every calibration programme known to man, including the MP calibration set up. When powering up without props, the throttle works perfect, but when props are fitted, the motor revs are extremely erratic, and engine revs seem to increase at will. Once its in the air, its fairly controllable, but the trick is getting it in the air in the 1st place. It seems like the Gyro is hyper-active!

Another winge  about Mission Planner. When you are asked which modes to choose which flight modes to assign, (stabilize, loiter, acro etc), how is a first time user supposed to know what these modes do, and how do you instigate which ever mode you choose. And what is PWM? Answers on a postcard.........

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have my Spektrum set up in plane mode for all of my multirotors. I assume that by copter you mean helicopter. Helicopter mode uses very different channel mixing. 

• It's the same in my Hitec
  • Just another question for those who know about this stuff. I am presently set up for this quad in "plane" mode on a Spektrum DX6i, but have just bought a FlySky 9 channel transmitter and i am about to try to set it up. Personally, i think i should be in "copter" mode! Your thoughts please.

• Hi, I think i can safely get it in the air. It flew like a dream before i added the pixhawk stuff. I'll let you know how it goes and thanks for the link.

Cala said:

Here you have Autotune instructions that Chris mention: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/autotune.html#autotune 

be shure that you can fly reasonably on alt hold first.

• Here you have Autotune instructions that Chris mention: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/autotune.html#autotune 

be shure that you can fly reasonably on alt hold first.

AutoTune — Copter documentation
  • Hi Chris, thanks for the info, and i will ty out your instructions as soon as possible, (a bit busy at work). I have a feelin i'm going to need your help again in the near future. I owe you a pint!

Chris Hardwick said:

Hi Steve,

You can expect non-ideal performance characteristics until your PID gains are dialed in. Autotune is a feature that automatically performs in-flight tuning of your PID gains. You can set it up on a function switch on your radio or as a flight mode. It works really well. The result is normally spot-on for me, and in other cases close enough that I can get the rest of the way with just a few tweaks,

To use Autotune as a flight mode, take off in Alt. Hold and when at the desired altitude switch the flight mode to Autotune. The wiki that I linked has all of the info on flight modes and use of Autotune. You can get to flight modes in Mission Planner by clicking Config/Tuning -> Flight Modes. This feature makes use of the channel 5 switch on your radio.

Cheers,

Chris

• Hi Steve,

You can expect non-ideal performance characteristics until your PID gains are dialed in. Autotune is a feature that automatically performs in-flight tuning of your PID gains. You can set it up on a function switch on your radio or as a flight mode. It works really well. The result is normally spot-on for me, and in other cases close enough that I can get the rest of the way with just a few tweaks,

To use Autotune as a flight mode, take off in Alt. Hold and when at the desired altitude switch the flight mode to Autotune. The wiki that I linked has all of the info on flight modes and use of Autotune. You can get to flight modes in Mission Planner by clicking Config/Tuning -> Flight Modes. This feature makes use of the channel 5 switch on your radio.

Cheers,

Chris

• Hi Chris, what and where is Autotune?

• Many of your questions can be answered here -> http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/initial-setup.html.

You probably have more setup to do. Have you completed autotune?

First Time Setup — Copter documentation
This reply was deleted.