Fixing Jello Effect on Solo Drone Footage

Hey guys so I have been flying multiple test flights with the solo drone without a gimbal mount since it is still in backorder till July and I was just shocked how bad the footage was. I kept getting the dreaded jello effect aka motion blur aka shaky footage with my test flight and was like wow solo without a gimble is worthless, but after doing some research I found that adding just a simple filter to my gopro camera can fix this issue. I'm still going to get the gimbal when it is released just to get that extra smooth motion in my video shots, but I'm shocked of what a difference this little filter did on the quality of my footage and 100% removed the jello effect. Is anyone else having this issue with there footage?

Here is a link to my test footage with the new filter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVYtebHB_P4

Glad to be part of this forum and will definitely be updating you guys on everything that has to do with the 3DR Solo Drone.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Since the Gopro has no Iris it does control the exposure only via the shutterspeed. This leads to crazy fast shutterspeeds of 1/2000-1/5000secs in really bright conditions. Uping the framerate doesn't really solve the problem in my experience - only forcing the GoPro to longer shutterspeeds leads to satisfying, film-like footage (1/25-1/100sec).You wont notice jello when flying in dark enviroment or with overcasted skies.. I like polarizing filters the best, since they significantly increase contrast and saturation. Further they quadruple the GoPros exposuretime since they reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor by roughly 75%.

• Where's the "Like" button on this dang thing? This is great.

• Best reply so far you definitely nailed this on the head great explanation

• Lord,

I 100% eliminated all my jello on my TBS Disco Pro by simply increasing he framerate from moving from 30fps to 60fps, once I did that 100% was gone and I have never looked back.

Also here is a well priced jelloguard if you want to stick to 30fps
    http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:jelloguard_h3

Hope this helps,

GenCode (Ed)

• Yea your 100% right I do believe the frame rate was the culprit but I still purchased a filter by BH photo to improve the video quality you can view an example on my YouTube with the logo that says Miami
  • I did some testing last evening with mine, and I must say I'm pleased with the picture quality. My GoPro's HDMI port no longer works, probably because it was flung about violently by the HDMI cable when it crashed into a tree and was subsequently knocked out of the tree by a long pole. Long story... 

For these shots, I'm using a Xiaomi Yi camera with the stock Solo mounting arm. On the end of it, I have a Xiaomi shock-proof case for the camera with a hole milled into it so I can plug the HDMI cable in. In earlier videos, I noticed some side-to-side shaking during turns, ascents and descents. This seems to be because of buffeting from the props. To compensate, I stuffed some open-cell foam in the hole around the mounting arm in Solo's belly. There's still a bit of shake, but not bad at all.

The video is 1080p, 60fps. So far, I'm highly impressed with the Xiaomi. For 1/4 the price of a GoPro, it's great!

https://youtu.be/AibFncZT_9E

• You can buy the filters from Snake River Prototyping - Blurfix Air - but they are quite expensive. I just ordered a set of 30,5mm Hoya Filters - i removed the filterglas from the original mount and created a superlightweight mount for the GoPro. It consists out of a ring cut off from a 25mm cfk-tubing - its inner diameter fits the GoPros lenscasing perfectly. Around the cfk-ring i glued a piece of plastic string to enlarge the diameter, and onto this i glued a string of depron wich finally holds the filterglas in place. Weight of the whole asembly - 4,2 Gramm - wich is great because your gimbal won`t barely recognise the added weight.

3702037063?profile=original

• Developer

What filter did you use?  Can you provide a link in case others want to reproduce what you've done?

• I've been hearing and seeing a lot about the jello effect with this airframe. Is the camera vibration isolated? I've built cheap $150 quads with no jello effect. Is it poorly balanced props or motors?

• You can take a look at my video and see the raw footage of the jello effect its horrible, I'm not sure what is the real reason causing this issue, but stock out of the box this drone with no gimbal mount produces very poor quality footage.

This reply was deleted.