Pilot Erorr/Solo Error?

On the 20th of June I encountered what I believe is a Solo fly away and I posted a video in the 'Solo Crash on Camera Flash' post. I'm looking for some feedback and would greatly appreciate any help with this issue to determine if it was pilot error or Solo issue.

Back story, my Son and me were exploring some the Solo features, such as the Selfie shots. Everything seemed to be working great. The video of the Selfie test is posted at https://youtu.be/haZZnHaTDoU.

We then landed the Solo, with I think RTH function and Solo performed a motor shutdown. I then started the motors and took off again with the Auto take off feature. At that time, when the Solo was in hover mode, I THINK I may have hit the fly button again, I'm not sure. What ever I did, the Solo took off FAST and flew straight into my house. The video is here https://youtu.be/EH8z57usAsA

The crash broke 3 of the 4 props, broke the battery holder button and scared the crap out of me.

I mentioned 'the Solo took of FAST' as I have not modified any of the stock acceleration settings yet and I do not think it would have accelerated as fast as it did with the factory acceleration settings. Also, the Solo was pointed front out, so I don't think I had a reversed control issue.

I have attached the Support logs that the Solo app sent to 3dr. I'm a little new at these, but it looks like shotlog.002.log is the log file for the Selfie. Which would make the shotlog.001.log the log file for the crash. I loaded the solo.tlog into Mission planner and I'm trying to figure out what happened.

I have submitted the logs to 3dr on the 25th of June and received a canned email response that 3dr would be getting back to me within 24-48 hours. As of today, I have received no further correspondence from 3dr, so I tried to call them. I was on hold for 20 minutes before the VM system told me they were overloaded and please call back during business hours and then got hung up on.

As mentioned above, any help or feedback greatly appreciated.

logs.zip

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Paul,

Thank you so much for responding. You have provided more information in your response than I have been able to get out of 3dr in a week!

I did figure out how to get the solo.tlog.2 file loaded into Mission Planner.  Do you then have to convert tlog -> KML or Graph and graph the log to get the good information that you provided?  

Also, should I pull the data flash logs to get more information?

Sorry about picking your brain, I'm really excited to actually see what happened in this flight.

Thank you for all of your help.

• Still waiting on response from 3dr on the ticket that I submitted a week ago.

• There was another flyaway just like yours that I saw here on diydrones. they blamed it on the camera flash,but I think that wasnt it. Almost the same timing of both your and his crash. I think he is in the same boat as you are with the tech part of it. 3dr has really slipped in service since the whole solo thing was rolled out. Im hearing of  a nasty GPS glitch which will most likely be corrected in a firmware download. I would not try to fly it until you hear back from 3dr. Keep on them!!

• Thanks again Paul, 

3dr support just got back to me and confirmed your analysis.  They also reported a motor failure:

John,

Seem that one incident was caused due to a GPS glitch, I recommend you upgrade to the new version as it fixes the bugs in the GPS if for any reason the GPS signal is lost of gets weak the drone will switch to manual automatically.
      Run a compass and level calibration.
      On another log seems the crash was caused because motor#4 malfunctioned and motor #3saturated I will have 2 replacements send to you, please provide the address.
      Did you break any props ?

• I posted on the other thread with the camera flash.  The way that Solo took off looked very similar. 

I have heard that there is a firmware update that is supposed to correct the GPS issue. 

It has been 4 days since I filed a ticket with 3DR and have not heard anything back from them since I got their 'we are reviewing your logs reply'.  I called 3DR yesterday and was on hold for 20 minutes before their automated phone system told me they were too busy to take my call and hung up on me.

I sent them a follow up email this morning.

This reply was deleted.