Solo Initial flights

Received Solo last week, had to wait for Saturday for the Solo app for Andriod be to be released.

Mounted GoPro per instructions and inverted video.

Downloaded app and performed update per instructions.   Took 10 or 15 minutes to complete the process.

Took Solo outside and turned on Solo, controller and connected Solo app. No Video and Solo searched for GPS for about 5 minutes. Re-started everything a couple of times, finally got GPS reception. Initiated a test flight with no video. Solo flew great, the initial settings for the flight controls are really dialed back and are great for getting a feel for flying Solo.

Troubleshooting the Video issue. You need to make sure that the HDMI cable gets plugged into the GoPro solidly and that the HDMI connector does not hang up on the camera mount opening.

I found the longer manual for the Solo at http://3drobotics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Solo_User_Manual_v1.pdf, that had some good information in it. That manual is no longer posted on the 3dr website.

I have about 10 flights in on the Solo. Getting about 15-20 minutes of flight time out of the battery. The controller gives you a battery warning at 25% battery. Once you land with less than 25% battery, you cannot take off again.

I have had 1 crash so far with the Solo, and it does not appear that the Solo goes into Crash mode and shuts down like my Y6.  Lots of spinning props and I did not know about the A+B+Pause shutdown.

And, the Solo does not come with a Prop wrench for chaning props.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you know what caused the crash and what was the damage?

• Hello Greg,

The crash was total operator error (translation: I screwed up), I was trying to fly close to my house and pulled when I should have pushed :(.

The Solo crashed into my deck and it continued to try to fly into the side of the house.  I finally got it shutdown by holding A+B+Pause on the controller.  The props sanded the side of the house a little bit and ended up with new color scheme while I was trying to shut it down,

I was amazed that the props did not break or have any damage other than some paint on them. 

My Y6 would have broken a prop or 2 before it went into crash mode.  

Without crash mode, I'm not sure what the best method handle a situation such as this.  Those 4 spinning propellers are pretty intimidating. 

• John,

Good to see that you are still flying and that it seems the Solo is not too fragile.

• 3D Robotics

Thanks for posting this! I'm collecting initial feedback on Solo to help target improvements & future development – if you're interested in sharing more about your experiences, please send me an email at kelsey@3drobotics.com and I can set up a time to chat. Much appreciated!

This reply was deleted.