Solo Log files: How to read them

Hi there,

I've been meaning to get around to pulling logs off of my Solo, so I tried that today. Something tells me the normal way of pulling logs (using APM Planner) is not the right approach. First, it's pathetically slow. As in, it took me about 40 minutes to pull one 7.6MB log. I have 76 logs, so by my math (avg. log file size is about 7.5MB) it would take 50 hours to get them all. I stopped after getting one, and used APM Planner's "Open Log" button to load it into a graph view. The view was empty, which seems strange.

Then I looked in the Solo app's source code at the "Support Ticket" function, and saw that it's pretty simple to get the same logs it's retrieving. They're just files. The ones originating on the Solo are pretty obvious, since they're just text, and the others appear to be TLOGs, so I guess I could play them back in Mission Planner?

There doesn't seem to be any dataflash logs in the data sent along with a support ticket, which seems odd. What's the best way to get those logs, or is that even relevant for a Solo?

Thanks,

Kelly

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm so happy that you brought this issue up.  The time that it takes to download log files from Solo, and my Y6, is insane.  

I had to file a ticket with 3dr (which has been a week and I'm still waiting to hear from 3dr, but that is another issue) and the app took about seconds to gather the last 3 log files! 

I'm not sure why you cannot just scp the log files off of Solo?  I was going to start to look into that, but every time I look at my crash infested Solo I get a sinking feeling in my heart. :)

I looked at the 3dr github and could not find the Solo app console code.  Is it under https://github.com/3drobotics/ardupilot-solo?

Also, FWIW, the SSH password for Solo is supposed to be TjSDBkAu

3drobotics/ardupilot-solo
    Contribute to 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo development by creating an account on GitHub.
    • Someone told me it's so slow because I'm going through the 57600-baud connection to the controller, then to the Solo. That makes sense. Then he told me "just run the log command on solo and sftp the files off of it". Translation: "I haven't it, but I assume there's something in there that works kind of like that." There is a /usr/bin/dflog which wants a parameter of lognum or latest. I tried dflog latest, and got "open /dev/serial/by-id error".

Can anyone familiar with the inner workings of things clue us in here? Much appreciated.

This reply was deleted.