3G Video Stream

What is the status of video streaming? I believe the Dronecell is not 3G, so a 3G cellular board (like those available from Sparkfun) must be used? 

I was looking into the cellular video streaming problem a year or so ago, and I concluded that to get decent quality, H.264/MPEG4 compression should be used. The problem I ran into is that the encoder chips seem to be tightly controlled by the suppliers--none of them even seemed to release a datasheet without signing an NDA, and requiring the potential for high volume purchasing. 

Does this problem still need a solution, or has somebody already achieved efficient, low power, low weight, compact H.264 encoding for 3G?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Do you mind if I ask what module this is? I'm trying to find a similar module for use in the EU.

• Hi,

I do stream my video and my telemetry over LTE network and it works very well:

- under 100ms delay

- with a very good quality

I stream the raspberry camera module over to my base station.

I have tried different transcoding techniques and different camera and this is my best combo so far.

I use raspivid and netcat on the Raspberry Pi to do it:

raspivid -hf -vf -w 800 -h 600 -fps 15 -t 0 -o - | nc -l -p 1234

I use netcat and mplayer on the base station:

nc drone_ip 1234 | mplayer -fps 60 -nosound -cache 1024 -

This solution has pros and cons. One annoyance is that the video stream and in a TCP session, but since that in altitude there is no obstacle, the bandwith is very good and makes up for it.

I am curious if somebody has come up with a better solution.

cheers

• Hi Jonathan

I'm using a Raspberry Pi with a USB video capture device connected with my Hero2 to transcode the SD video into 352x288 10fps at 500kbit and it works very good over 3g network. I have a wifi adapter in my Raspberry Pi and connect this to a 3g wifi router onboard. I also connect to APM2.5 via the same link. I'm working on a blogpost to describe mye setup :-)

Tommy

• You could also use an android smartphone for video over 3G/4G. I 've described my setup in this post.

• http://www.diydrones.com/m/blogpost?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A1132168

I think this is the easiest way, and Kevin is quite capable. Maybe you can join me in the effort of politely requesting an andropilot app meant for using onboard.
This reply was deleted.