100KM

X8 distance/endurance records

Hi all,

Reading that the X8 cruises at 10-12A (3S) with a speed of 60km/h and also reading that some have succesfully put 20Ah worth of batteries in her, she should be able to break the 100km endurance mark.  Anyone who has actually succeeded in that ? (or tried and failed?)

I'm looking for confirmation that the X8 can cover 100km in one flight (autopiloted).

Thx !

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I flew for about 1 hour 50 mintues orbiting at 1000 agl (1300 msl) on a 2 4s 5000mah lipos with a 800mw video tx running.  People need to remember that just because you can add more batteries doesn't mean it will increase your endurance.  The added weight will raise the cruise amp draw.  There is a point of diminishing return.  The key is an efficient motor and prop combo.  If you can climb vertically then you will not be efficient at cruise.  Brushless motors tend to be most efficient at 50-80% power.  Also lower C rated batteries tend to be lighter, and since there is so much mah loaded in the plane only 5-10c is needed for max throttle.  Attached is the log from my flight.  

EDIT: the log is over 7mb so I threw it up on google drive.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6Rqpe-8z6_fSUZuN2Jad19pNUE/edit?us...

• 100KM

So I guess nobody has actually done it yet ?  The 1.5 hour flight only logged 75km.

Examples of e-gliders that can reach this goal without depending on thermals are also welcome.

• It shouldn't be a problem, there's been a few flights around 1.5 hours, including this one:

1:25 flight

With a little weather/flight planning and a good 3s setup, 100k should be attainable. If you're going for ultra endurance, there's a lot of great e-gliders that will have a better chance of getting those results.

This reply was deleted.