Thankfully, DIY Drones says, “Amateur UAVs are non-military and non-commercial.”
Nevertheless, they may be annoying and dangerous.
Both military and civilian attempts at capabilities similar to UAVs wisely included an abort/self-destruct feature to avoid the catastrophic consequences that malfunctions cause. And where is the “anti-drone” capability – the capability to detect, prevent, intercept, and destroy drones? Whether a legal, moral, and ethical drone malfunctions or one is designed to be a mal-drone may make little difference to the victims. Counter-drone capabilities plus laws and prosecution will never be enough.
- A small drone that slowly releases white powder while circling 80,000 people in a stadium
- A drone that targets the President during a speech on the West Lawn of the White House
- Using drones, all police cars, armored vehicles, or Senators are located on a Google map
- Drug smugglers use drones to carry their payload
- A flock of small drones flies into the engines of an aircraft (from Air Force One to take-your-pick)
- Exposed, outdoor electrical power facilities are hit at multiple, strategic points
Strategically, responsible UAV enthusiasts are the experts that must produce safe UAVs and anti-UAVs.