As reported from their website, seems like a great upgrade for the telemetry radio, maybe to also carry RC control, and depending on bandwidth maybe using it also for a digital video feed.
It is on indiegogo
As listed on their site:
XRange: Extreme Long Range Wireless Module based on sx1272 LoRa transceiver for 868 or 915 Mhz (will be available in Q4 2014)
What is XRange?
It is a wireless electronics development platform that provides extreme long range spread spectrum communication and has over 12km (7 miles) of usable range.
XRange is based on the SX1272 LoRa™ long range modem, low-power ARM micro-controller and powerful switching power supply.
What can you do with XRange?
- Connections in warehouses where data cables and other wiring is difficult or impractical.
- Lighting, temperature and other building controls.
- Battery-powered data loggers, weather stations, and data logger/controllers.
- Solar panels management and monitoring.
- Data communication for the Internet of Things.
- Remote controlled irrigation systems.
- Point-of-sale systems.
- Security applications.
Why You should choose the XRange?
- It has extreme long range.
- It has ability to communicated through walls and other obstructions.
- It is low power.
- It is low cost.
- You can implement many wireless projects with little effort.
SX1272 LoRa™ long range modem
- 157 dB maximum link budget
- +20 dBm at 100 mW constant RF output
- +14 dBm high efficiency PA
- Programmable bit rate up to 300 kbps
- High sensitivity: down to -137 dBm
- Low RX current of 10 mA, 100 nA register retention
- Fully integrated synthesizer with a resolution of 61 Hz
- FSK, GFSK, MSK, GMSK, LoRaTM and OOK modulation
- Packet engine up to 256 bytes with CRC
For more information about sx1272
Low-power STM32L152 microcontroller
- ARM Cortex-M3 CPU at 32MHz
- 256 KBytes Flash
- 2x Op-Amp
- 12bit ADC 1 Msps 2 channels
- 12bit DAC 2 channels
- 2x Comparators
- USB 2.0 Full Speed
- Up to 2x USARTs, 2x SPIs 16Mbit/s, 2x I2C
- Up to 11x timers
- 96bit unique ID
- Real-time clock
For more information about STM32L152
Board Power supply (Based on TPS62160)
- through USB bus
- external input voltage 3.3V – 17V
- system voltage 3.3 or 2.7 selectable
- output 3.3V/1A or 2.7V/1A selectable
- output 5V from USB port
- Over-current protection on all I/O pins
- ESD protection on USB port
MCU Flash Programming
- USB Bootloader
- SWD connector
Dimensions 78 mm x 42 mm
We are working to provide open source libraries and firmware.
“The mbed development platform is the fastest way to create products based on ARM microcontrollers.”
We are working to provide libraries and firmware based on Mbed platform.
Mbed already provides driver for sx1272.
Keil MDKWe have developed libraries and firmware based on Keil MDK platform.