You may have noticed some slight design changes here over the past day, which are simply me band-aiding a situation where the external site that hosted some of our design files shut down, leaving a bunch of broken images and mangled CSS here. For now I've reverted to some native Ning design features and brought back an old header (above), but this strikes me as a good time to start the process of a proper redesign.
In Spring, Ning (which we're hosted on) will roll out a bunch of new design and functionality features, which should improve things here considerably. It still won't perfect, especially for very long comment threads, so we're going to launch some new forums for product/software discussion/support on the new manual/wiki site that we'll be previewing in a few weeks. These new forums will be based on a very good WordPress forum plug-in, so they should be a big step up from what we've currently got. And by pushing product/technical support to a separate site, DIY Drones can focus more on its original function on news and discussion about civilian UAVs and technology in general.
In the meantime, it's time to update our header. So I'd like to launch a competition for the best design. The winner will get an APM 2.5+.
- Create a rectangular graphic (width 955 1,000 pixels, height anything from 100 to 200 pixels) that will replace the above.
- The name should stay the same ("DIY Drones") but the tagline should change to "Amateur UAVs, Contests, Products and More" Revision: I've had advice to lead with "community", so let's try this: "The Leading Community for Amateur and Civilian UAVs" Another revision! After yet more advice, let's go with "The leading community for personal UAVs". You can use any style you think looks best (caps or lowercase).
- There should be some image of a UAV. Ideally, it should look cool and "drone-like" but not look military or threatening. Fixed wing or multicopter, it's up to you.
- Post your submissions in the comments below
- The competition will run one month, until March 23rd
Last time we did this, back in 2010, we got some great submissions. I'm looking forward to seeing what the design talent in this community can come up with this time!
Congratulations to Adrian (the winner) and Petrus (the runner up)! Contest results post is here.
short list coming?
Petrus, today is the last day for new designs. Tomorrow I will post the short list of the best designs for a vote, and then by mid-week we'll announce the winner.
Is this thread still going or has the competition closed, can we still submit designs?
A drone however, indicates a level of intelligence, it implies that there is artificial intelligence, it could walk, fly, swim,drive.
Either way, a Rose by any other name is still a Rose
If the military, or anyone else start convincing the media that they are not Drones, but RPAS or UAS's then Drone sounds even better.
Stay with DIYDrones, it doesn't matter what we call them, people are not concerned with the name, they are worried about their privacy.
Be nice, and considerate when flying with cameras, don't film private things, with or without the assistance of a RC Aircraft, boat, or car.
Hi, here my second design :)
So many awesome submissions. I'm going to make a short list of my favorites and put them up to a vote here.
Hi, here is my [not so serious] take (or mashup ). Enjoy!
That picture is an MQ-1 Predator, not an Ikhana, have a look at the tailplane, the NASA Ikhana has some slight visual differences, and no imaging pod. However the MQ-1 Predator has imaging and can be armed, so you are right it does look threatening :)