Mega Easy Glider Mod for Ardupilot 2.2

This is my latest modification of the EasyGlider to coincide with the official release of Ardupilot 2.2.
I call her the “EG 2.2”. The last modification, found here,
involved increasing the fuselage volume but this is a little more ambitious and includes standard tail conversion to an inverted V-tail, moving the motor to the rear in a pusher configuration, moving all servos to the control surfaces and extending the nose by two inches. The nose was extended to get the CG set without having to add nose weight and to make room for the larger autopilot and data logger.
The booms are made from collapsible fishing pole segments and house the elevator cables. The elevator servos are joined with a Y connector that contains a reverser for one of the servos. The ailerons are joined with a simple Y connector.
She had her maiden flight yesterday and she flies fine. As soon as the new Ardupilot and shield arrive, I’ll get them installed and restart my flight tests. I’m predicting much better success this time since there will be throttle management and I have a better feel for how the code changes effect flight.

Views: 5219

Comment by Bryan Cuervo on June 15, 2009 at 3:56pm
Some more pictures--

Comment by Joseph Glanville on June 15, 2009 at 7:05pm
Looks awesome. :)
Comment by Bryan Cuervo on June 16, 2009 at 5:05am
Thanks,
I attached the tubes to the wings by cutting into their undersides from the trailing edge up to just behind the wing joiner/spar. I then wrapped some sandpaper around the booms and sanded the groves to final shape. The Elapor foam is easy to work with. After tacking the booms in place with CA, two layers of 2 oz cloth were placed across the joint for strength. I got lucky with the decalage! No elevator trim was needed during that first flight.
Comment by tycinis on June 16, 2009 at 5:45am
can you post more picture please ?

Moderator
Comment by Robert Krogh (hooks) on June 16, 2009 at 12:20pm
very nice work! How about some more data about this awesome platform.
Comment by Bryan Cuervo on June 16, 2009 at 12:23pm
Here are a few more pictures showing the tail servo installation and wing/boom joint---

Comment by Bryan Cuervo on June 16, 2009 at 3:39pm
Just had another flight today and I'm really pleased with her performance. Here's some more info.

-Motor is AXI 2217/20 with 840kv
With a flying weight of 2.5 lbs, the power loading is approx. 80W/lb which is plenty of power.
-Propeller is a folding Graupner 10x8 that was modified to work reversed in the spinner.
-Battery is 11.1V 2100mAh thunderpower lipo. This yields around 15 min. flights @ 1/2 throttle.
An 11.1V 3200mAh lipo can take the place of the smaller pack and lead ballast and would provide around 20 min of flight but doesn't leave much room for electronics.
-Wing loading is just under 10 oz/sq ft.
-Tail servos are Hitec HS-65HB with 25 oz- in of torque.
-Inverted V-tail was sized based on the original tail volume coefficients and the included angle is 110 deg.
Comment by Michal on June 16, 2009 at 4:27pm
Are there any in-flight differences between original EG and your modified one?
Comment by Dean on June 16, 2009 at 5:06pm
2.5 Lbs weight and this type of airframe you should be able to hold altitude on 25 Watts, which would easily give 1+ hour duration with the 3200 mAh 3s LiPo. Have your flights to date been using lots of power to fight wind or something?
Comment by Bryan Cuervo on June 16, 2009 at 5:44pm
Michal - The only difference I've noticed with the new configuration is a little less stability in yaw. The 110 deg inclined tail angle ended up being a little higher than I wanted which may be the cause.
Dean - The flight durations were theoretically calculated guessing a cruising power of 9 amps X the 3 cell lipo voltage. I got out my Medusa power analyzer and she read 83 watts @ half throttle. Over three times your value. I'll have to hook up the EagleTree data analyzer and get some in-flight data. One issue is that I'm using a slightly smaller diameter prop than recommended for this setup. I'm a little leery about hand launching with that prop swinging behind my hand!

Comment

You need to be a member of DIY Drones to add comments!

Join DIY Drones

© 2018   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service