We started building this project a few months ago for our Senior Design Project at the University of Central Florida's Electrical Engineering Program. We used tons of information and products based off this community and figured we would share our project. We haven't found really much like it so we are hoping that it may help shed some light into a different area.
There are a lot of sub-systems and sections to this project and I will be more than happy to expand on any of it if anyone wants to know. But the basic idea is we have a modified F450 running an APM 2.6 with extra features that is able to land on a mobile rover. This rover is able to transport the quad and then the quad is able to fly off and it's own thing. It will then return to the rover and land on it.
The quad features a readymadeRC 200mW transmitter for the FPV, minimOSD, XBEE PRO 900 MHZ telemetry, GoProHERO3 on a pan and tilt servo setup, Turnigy 9X with frsky tx/rx, and a 5000mAH nanotech. We also modifed the frame with 3D printed parts for all the housings and magnetic feet for the locking. For those of you who are immediately questioning the weight distributions, we actually weighed the printed parts versus using zipties and adhesives, they come within about 2 grams of eachother (the printed parts are heavier of course). We offset the frame the best we could to evenly distribute the weight.
Now for some the more interesting parts. When the quad lands, it will actually be re-charged. The charging system utilizes what is called Bedini Motor and we are using Solar Panels for supplementary power. One thing we also realized was that the quad was going to slide around and fall off while we are driving around. So we also implemented a magnetic locking system. Simply put, we printed feet for the quad that attach to the legs that house very strong magnets. The rover then has a magnetic grid on it attached to an actuator that raises and lowers to release/lock the quad. So far we have been able to get almost a full 45 degrees sideways before it starts slipping. We also implemented Mecanum wheels into
it so we can straffe and a few other custom modes. I can post videos of it once I figure out how to lol.
I don't want to make the post too wordy so I will post some of the pictures. Please keep in mind that we are still developing it and I don't want to post the more final pics until it is more put together (the actual shell for the rover should be done this weekend, the plexi top right now was just for practicing landing). This project was built almost from the complete ground up from the PCB's, the software, the GUI's, the frames, and we also 3D printed a lot of our parts (oh yeah, we have ROBO3D and a Reprap in our garages)