You may have noticed that DIY Drones looks a little different today. That's because we finally switched over to the Ning 3.0 hosting framework, which offers a bunch of advantages along with continuity with the exiting content, membership and basic flow. Although Ning 3.0 was introduced back in 2013, Ning has changed hands since then and the development was not really complete until last year. So we waited until everything was stable to make the change.
Here are some of the new features that you may notice:
- Works great on mobile! Finally, a responsive design that works on any size screen, taking advantage of the full width and height on any device.
- Social sharing is built in (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Wider layout takes advantage of larger screens, more open design
- A lot of behind-the-scenes tools to make managing and moderating the site eaiser
- Overall, we've cleaned up the site and removed older unused features.
All your content and membership information should be transfered intact, but please let me know if anything is missing.
There are probably still a few glitches that we'll clean up over the next few days, but overall this should carry us well into our second decade!
Known bugs/items that we're working on:
- Content from the old groups is not showing up. While we sort this out, you can get access to them on the old site here.
- We're removed some navigation elements from the old site to simplify this one. If you're really missing something, let me know
- We're debating between full-screen width (more spread out, but can get really sloppy on very wide screens) or fixed 1080 width (what it currently is).
Here's a screenshot of the "before" (it's a lot narrower)