2nd GPS only

My GPS port on my Pixhawk has been ripped off when the GPS came lose from my quad. 

I've replaced the Pixhawk on the quad, but am now testing my original Pixhawk as it seems to be working except for the GPS connection.

I've now connected the GPS to the serial 4/5 port.  Gone into the config and set 2nd gps to auto, then set first gps to 0  (for none).

My status show no gps, but looking into the status and I'm seeing the following:

gpsstatus 0  

gpshop     0

satcount  0

gpsstatus 2   3

gpshop2   1.39

satcount2   11   (and I'm inside my house, about 4 ft from a window.

I assume I'm good to go and will have gps functions?

If so, is there anyway I can get the gps2 info to replace the gps info?

If not, it looks like I'll have to use this with a computer to see the gps2 info.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi, i have tested mine today with teh same exact problem as you guys. On mission planner i have sats, good hdop but on the HUD i have "No GPS". On my test flight i had green led, so i had stabilze mode, alt hold mode. During loitter i had alt hold mode only. I tryied RTL the quad started descend for a land, that means the GPS is available but not being used for navigation.

FW 3.3 rc5

I tried GPS1 set to 0 and set to 1.

I have set GPS2 to 1.

Serial 4 baud 4

serail4 protocol 5.

Maybe someone will find a solution other then trash the pixhawk and buy another one $$$....

• I have had the same thing happen as described above and have been successfully flying the quad as you have above.

Where were you able to set the serial4/5 settings?  In mission planner?

I have looked at the APM code on Github and I think it holds some promise on setting the system so that it looks to the SERIAL4/5 ports for the GPS data as primary.

I also currently see, "GPS: No Fix" in the flight data part of mission planner, BUT:

1. It passes the arm check

2. It has trouble arming in Loiter mode.

3. It will not transmit position data via telemetry (MAVLink) back to my Taranis Frsky Plus as it used to.

I think we just need to find a way to set the code to look to SERIAL4 for the primary GPS sentences.

Any clues on how to do that?

• I'm not a code writer so I can't try it, but I'd assume it wouldn't be rocket science to put a selection in their to switch over the main GPS to the secondary connection. 

While I can get a satellite lock on the 2nd connection (with 1st connection broken), I don't have a great feeling that's it's 100% reliable as in some of my test flights there are always a few moments flying in gps where it has a few seconds here and there of doing something unexpected.  Nothing serious as I haven't crashed, but enough so I don't use it in GPS other than to take a quick look at it. 

• Hi,

I have the same problem. And the same results. However i have a fraid of flying with the  one gps connected on serial4/5.

Do you have tested? 

• Any idea where I might find some answers? 

3DRobotics told me to by a new one. They didn't mention the serial 4/5 port.

My  Pixhawk with GPS port ripped off and now GPS connected on the serial 4/5 port works, I just don't get feedback unless I'm connected to mission planner and go owards the last column (via the slider) in the status down on the left side. 

Top show 0 satellites.

This reply was deleted.

Activity