3DR telemetry no longer supported by 3DR....options?

I have been using the 915mhz telemetry v2 units with my Pixhawk for a while now.  One of them is not giving the range that it used to and I need a replacement.

I varified the range with the use of my Fighting Walrus iDrone Link and one unit is getting about 100m range while the other is getting good signal to where my hexacopter is just a spec in the distance.

Problem 1:

I can not get hold of Fighting Walrus any more.  They have not answered my emails since about October of 2015.  I am assuming they are no longer active? (also no updates to their iOS app for almost a year)

Problem 2:

3DR are no longer making their 900 or 433 telemetry units. (verified vie an email to them)

"Hello Justin,

Thank you for contacting 3DRobotics customer service.

We apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we do not have the Telemetry available anymore since they have been discontinued, both the 915 and 433."

I am using a Nexus 7 v2 Tablet with the Tower App (great app by the way)

Question:

Other than the $250 long range 900mhz kits (I don't need/am not allowed to use super long range) or $10 knock 3DR off kits from China (gamble as to whether you get a good one/no warranty), what options are there that are "PnP" ?

I am using a Taranis Plus TX with x8r RX and could use that telemetry but then there is no way to load missions in the field.

Thanks for input

J

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• J,

I use the MinimOSD to get my telemetry. It is fully programmable as to what you see and where to put it in your fpv display. I also use the Bluetooth module for Pixhawk to program at the field. It has extremely limited range, but works great for programming on the ground. I thought about adding the longer range radios, but this system works very well for me and I think I might be more distracted with the ground station approach. If you do not use fpv, this is not for you, but if you do, they are two tiny boards that are easy to use.

Cheers,

Rick

• Thanks for the suggestion Rick.

Again a quality and compatibility issue with clones.  I have tried 3 Minim OSD from 3 different places and have had 1 DOA, one would not program with the OSD software and one that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.  About $60 down the drain and I still don't have OSD working properly due to poor quality products.

Again, it would be nice if 3DR kept supplying parts manufactured to their quality standards. I understand they might not actually put them together, but they are made to their QOS and therefor work OOB.

• These are identical and I use them with my Pixhawk.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55560__HKPilot_Transceiv...

• These are identical and I use them with my Pixhawk.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55560__HKPilot_Transceiv...

No. They are definitely not identical, despite of the V2 name. Different design and even the size differs from the 3DR V2 modules. My 433MHz HKV2 version comes with a little more noise than the original.

@ All: Its no problem to operate cheap clones mixed with the original radios, if the settings are identical. Just keep in mind that you´ll have to disable RTS/CTS when you mix wit 4 pin clones (e.g. of 3DR radio V1), where some of its clones suffer from USB/Ser. noise impact @ Ground Module.Low performer.

• I have had more than 50 modules (433 MHz) from HK. I could get a few of them to connect to 3DR radios, some of them only sporadic, most of them no connection at all. The HK modules would happily connect with other HK modules.

I have my own developed boards using Hope-RF modules (again at 433 MHz), and these would also not talk to the HK modules, but no problem with 3DR radios.

And yes, I have the same settings in both ends ;)

EDIT: This was with HK modules when they did not use the HopeRF modules, only the SI1000 chip (and claiming that they were compatible with 3DR/Hope). I now see that the V2 modems claims that a Hope RF module is actually used, so maybe this will work now ?)

From the V2 433 MHz modules on HK web:

The system utilizes the 433Mhz band and provides a full-duplex link using HopeRF's HM-TRP modules running custom, open source, firmware.

• @Craig,

Many so call 3dr telemetry clones in ebay are NOT compatible with the telemetry receiver in the remote control unit.

Does the HK kit work with the telemetry receiver in the remote control unit?

• I use them on my quad which has a 3DR true Pixhawk control and GPS unit.  They work fine.

• Hello Craig,

I have the 3dr Iris+ and Cheerson CX20 APM

The kits I found from ebay and Banggood or Gearbest work for the Cheerson, but not the Iris.

It seems the header are different.

My question is, will HK kit work with the Iris radio controller which I believe is a frSky controller. https://www.fruugo.us/frsky-24ghz-telemetry-djt-module-jrflysky-acc...

• Compatibility issues and guess work.  Precisely the point of my thread.  

• Have you tried making your own antenna?
    I've made a pair of dipole antenna from a coaxial cable for my 433MHz radios, using IBCrazy's instructions, and at 1000km my telemetry signal is solid 99%.
    Simple solution for big problems.
    Ith the 915MHz antenna you just need to make the dipole shorter, instead of 35cm for the half wave length, you just need 15cm.
    The 3DR radio is by default set to work with 100mW and using a dipole improves greatly the quality and range of the signal, but if you need even more range, you can buy a signal booster to transmit with over 1W.

By now the chinese produce much cheaper radios with the same quality of 3DR, so with that competition 3DR must have decided that it wasn't worth selling separated radios anymore.

There's just a problem. If the chinese just copy, and 3DR develops, who will develop now the Radio v3?

This reply was deleted.

Activity