Hi,

I have received the following email from 3DRobotics last night, my Iris quadocopter was already in France, at Fedex office for a delivery at home on monday. 3DRobotics say they cancel my order and will refund me, rhis mean they will ask Fedex to send back to product to the US, why such a decision for all customers ? Why cancelling a shipement when the parcel is nearly at your home ?

Here is the email I have received from 3DR

************************************************************************************************

Thanks for your order with 3DR. We're writing to let you know that, due to a temporary change in our shipping policies, we're unable to ship orders outside of the US and Canada. We'll be cancelling and refunding your order immediately. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll let you know when we can resume shipments to your country.

If you have any questions or would like to make modifications to your order, write to us at help@3drobotics.com or call our support line at +1 (858) 225-1414, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm PST.

Sincerely,

The 3DR Team

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi all,

turns out the problem got a bit more complex since my  run in with ITAR in 91.

In 96  they have this item called the Wassenaar "Arrangement"   http://www.wassenaar.org/controllists/  as part  of the Arms Trade Treaty.. as a treaty it acts as a bypass on US Constitutional Authorities in that it has precedence according to law OVER domestic/internal laws passed by the US congress or adjudicated by the Judicial branch  even if this action would  conflict with our internal laws(they pulled a similiar trick with drug war laws and UN treaties also)..

Even if the ITAR or drug war laws were to be overturned in court the US executive branch would be legally obligated by treaty to keep enforcing the International regulation domestically unless we specifically pass a law forbidding same and even then with "signing statements" by a criminal executive branch its doubtful..

Has it gone too far.. It sure has in most peoples minds US citizens or not...

hzl

ps 37912 the thread that wont die!!

• The curious  thing about this whole issue is just what is not being exported apart from the APMs: power distribution boards and APM power modules and ESCs are also included! So I have ordered the ESCs for a scratch build quad copter from Hobby King  UK and will make up the power distribution board myself! Daft.

• Would someone sending a pixhawk or apm by mail out of USA or Canada be at risk of FBI or whatever knocking on their door ?
    • Why bad idea?!do we have any US authorities confirmed that this is banned?

where?

we just have information 3dr does not export any more...and that's stupid bcs I was still able to order rtfhawk for my second controller...

When I went looking i found it's specifically covered on the commerce control list

a. “UAVs” or unmanned “airships”, having any of the following:

a.1. An autonomous flight control and navigation capability ( e.g., an autopilot with an Inertial Navigation System);or

a.2. Capability of controlled flight out of the direct visual range involving a human operator ( e.g., televisual remote control);

b. Associated systems, equipment and components, as follows:

b.1. Equipment specially designed for remotely controlling the “UAVs” or unmanned “airships”, controlled by 9A012.a.;

b.2. Systems for navigation, attitude, guidance or control, other than those controlled in Category 7, specially designed to provide autonomous flight control or navigation capability to “UAVs” or unmanned “airships”, controlled by 9A012.a.;

There is an exclusion in the commerce control list for models but I'm not sure what the definition of a "model" is. Having done quite a bit of reading on this over the last month my thinking is that the issues currently on the table are probably 

1 Is this controlled under ITAR? 

2 Assuming it isn't. Is it exempted because it's a "model"?

3 Again assuming it isn't. How do we classify this for export licensing? 

If someone decides it's number 1 then 3DR are in a world of hurt. I think its most likely going to be 2 or 3. 

While this is a lot of pain for 3DR in terms of paperwork and it's hurting their sales etc. And obviously a pain for those non-US 3DR customers. I expect this is going to be sitting relatively low down someones priority list in whatever department decides on 1, 2 and 3 so the delay is probably quite normal. 

• The paranoia only managed to sabotage 3DRobotics, a US business, and grow Chinese business (as usual)

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixhawk-innovation-from-china

Yes! Very bad idea, especially if they did it in full knowledge of the fact that 3DR have had to suspend export.

• Agreed, this is a export ban for commercial purpose, I would not risk a nexus that would implicate yourself
        • IMHO, it's unlikely that they would crack down because none of these "items" may have been on any export control ban list before, because it was not clear if the technology/capability they posses met the ban criteria .  Now, after the process of identifying each 3DR item that should go on that control list is completed and made public, and you still send it out of the U.S., that may be an issue.

• I get it, and when I saw it go up I figured this, as we have the same controls for exporting certain computer parts/accessories overseas...

This reply was deleted.

Activity